Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY - No scratch tank bag

EBRforum Junkie

DIY - No scratch tank bag

I've wanted a tank bag and saddle bags for my 1190SX, and at the relaunch party in March, there was a yellow SX teaser with prototype bags on display. I decided that I would like to try to copy that bike's bags as close as possible. Thanks to the forums, I was able to find that these originally came from OGIO, and look to be modified a little.

EBRforum Junkie
    The bag is setup with four wings that have magnets inside it to attach to a metal tank. Our airbox covers are not metal so that just won't work. So just like the picture of the yellow SX, I will only be using the top and bottom attachments. Step 1 is to cut off the side attachments. (You could fold them underneath the bag, but it would be more likely to scratch the airbox cover).

Step 2 - Remove the magnets from the pouches that have just been cut off:

Instead of using the provided straps to run underneath the airbox cover or seat and rub against the paint, I decided to reuse the magnets. By putting the two reclaimed magnets underneath the airbox cover, they will serve as something for the magnets on the top and bottom of the bag to stick to.

Placing the bag on the airbox cover with the magnets on the other side, it holds very securely. I turned it over, tugged on it a bit, shook it like crazy, and it didn't budge at all.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Awesome, thanks for the write up!

EBRforum Junkie

Satisfied with the strength of the magnets, next I moved the bag around until I got it in what I felt was the best placement.

Lastly, once the final placement was decided upon, I secured the interior magnets with some packing/shipping tape. One nice feature of the magnet install is that you can easily pick up your bag and take it with you when you reach a destination. Without securing your interior magnets, they would no longer stay in place after the bag is removed. By taping the interior magnets in place, you can quickly remove and remount your tank bag.

And that's it! Here's just a few shots in my garage tonight. I'll post better pics tomorrow when the sun comes out.

EBRforum Junkie
    Very nice work!

EBRforum Newb
    Looks good. I may have to copy you here. I am now interested in that small wind screen and hand guards too!

EBRforum Junkie
    Final result.

And the best part is when I don't run with the bag, there is nothing left behind like straps dangling.

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by recon033 View Post
    Looks good. I may have to copy you here. I am now interested in that small wind screen and hand guards too!
    Feel free - that's why I put it up step by step. I found it on eBay for about $55.

I also saw that you are looking for shorter turn signals. If you do a tail tidy, you could reuse your shorter turn signal stalks up front. It makes a world of a difference, and still has the factory reliability:

EBRforum Newb
    Awesome. What tail tidy are you rocking?

EBRforum Junkie
    I got a universal setup from Cycle Gear. The tidy itself was $45 and the mounting hardware kit was $10. For the price, can't beat it.