Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: For those that do your own valve adjustment

That bike/engine stand is simple and unobtrusive hope its not copyrighted! [runs to welder and chop saw]

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by zviadi View Post
    I already wrote in the beginning of this topic that at 6000 miles I used Hot Cams.
    Continuation of a story. For 12000 miles I regretted the adjustment of the valves for various reasons, mainly because of laziness.
    Now the run is approaching the third valve adjustment interval (18000 miles) - still all right with the engine. Riding is constantly at high revs. This engine is quite reliable.
    What do you regret about the 12k adjustment? Was it anything pertaining to the shims quality? By laziness do you mean in your measurements and assessments of which shims to use?

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    That bike/engine stand is simple and unobtrusive hope its not copyrighted! [runs to welder and chop saw]
    Someone posted the plans for it on badweb a few years ago, he may still make/sell them. Obviously, I made my own since I know a guy that welds stuff.

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by LeesEBR View Post
    What do you regret about the 12k adjustment? Was it anything pertaining to the shims quality? By laziness do you mean in your measurements and assessments of which shims to use?

I didn't want to pick the engine, since in my region moto-season is only 5-6 months a year. It so happened that I was repairing the exhaust system three times at season. There was no desire to waste time on the valve adjustment.
    I'm use Hot Cams on all my bikes. Always.
    Last edited by zviadi; 12-20-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    EBR 1190 RX

Damn. Now I know why my valve adjustment was a difficult task. I did it without removing the frame... haha

The cam covers were a B to take out!! I had to use tool combinations i had never used before so i could reach the cam cover screws between frame and engine.

I will do this "pull the bike away from the engine" method on the next valve adjustment. Which I am not looking forward to...

Is there a video or pictures somewhere showing this method a bit more? I followed the NCCR video at the time, which doesn't remove the frame.
    Last edited by 9RX; 06-01-2023 at 07:47 PM.

Once you figure out the frame split (it's easier than you think), it's the only way you'll work on the bike again.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Then I guess I have to figure out the frame split ?

I had to hand off the valve adjustment to a mechanic friend, I simply couldn't get my sausage fingers in there to follow the NCCR tutorial. Not the first time for that problem, I had to train my smart half to change our cars' O2 sensors, my hands were just too chunky to get in there. I can almost do it when the radiator fans are removed, otherwise not a prayer. But then she has to remove/replace those too so...

You'll thank yourself. I resisted it for too long, thinking it was the long way round and a big deal, but after 2 hours of fighting a valve cover and feeler gauge access, I caved and went for it. Now, it's just what I commit too for winter service. Do it once and its seriously faster than fighting the fiddly bits.
    Sometimes 2 at a time, lol:

You're lucky you have a willing partner too! Bubbles tiny hands are priceless some days