Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windscreen - Stock vs Powerbronze

EBRforum Newb

Windscreen - Stock vs Powerbronze

The Buell windscreen is FAR more effective and comfortable than it looks. I'm Valentino sized, not Dennis Smith sized (he finished 6th in 1980 Daytona 200, founded Cycle Tune and then sold out to Vance & Hines, a very good rider).
    Tucked in I can tell the aero is good. Definitely not selling my Buell screen anytime soon (or the spare I bought).

The Powerbronze screen gives all the same positives the Buell screen does but does so a little better.
    The best aspect is that the higher screen makes me feel like I am 'in' the bike and creates a very inviting space. The Buel screen kinda' makes me feel like I am 'on' the bike instead of 'in' it.
    I had no issues with dashboard access under the Buell screen, but again the Powerbronze gives extra room for access - Dennis Smith sized guys will appreciate it..!

I haven't had any head shakes on my Hammer Head but can tell the Powerbronze gives enough extra space for my chin that if (when) it does happen my helmet won't break the windscreen - something the Buell screen worries me a little about.

So, the Powerbonze stays on the bike and my Buell screens are tucked away as future investments.

Anyone else have the same impressions? Has anyone found an even better windscreen?

EBRforum Newb
    Should've specified the Powerbronze i bought is the DOUBLE BUBBLE type.

I run the Powerbronze double bubble too, and yes I'm at least 2 Valentinos in size:) I like what you said about being more 'in' the bike than 'on' it. I recently rode a 100% stock RX and the difference was huge!

IMO, it also manages to not look out-of-place on such a low sleek bike. I still say its one of the best looking bikes out there!

EBRforum Newb
    Agreed. The double bubble doesn't hurt the beautiful lines of the Hammerhead. This is the only aesthetics item I'd like Buell to change.

Something else I did was take the cooling duct brake off. How did that ugly thing come in contact with something this gorgeous?!? There is no way I'm going to overheat the brake while mountain riding, so into a box it went. We have a nice track in Byers east of Denver - haven't been there yet, but my guess is I'll be hot and tired before the brake is..! I rode a few hundred miles at the now gone Second Creek on my RZ500 and could run 1:20's with turn signals, lights, mirrors and grooved street tires - not bad times actually considering.. The RZ's 16" front really likes deep braking with trailing throttle working against the rear brake. It let me set the bike way late in the corner with some slide built in, that kept the power engaged for a strong drive out. Very brake intensive on that bike - 20 fast laps had me ready to rest!!! Now I'm a fair bit older and just don't see needing the Buell's brake cooling duct.
    Cooter, do you use the cooling duct?

Not for street riding. If you're riding that fast on the street, go to a track! lol.

I did 3-d print the fancy one for the STT and the SS, but just for looks. The OE one left a bit to be desired. I did have to add one to the SX for track riding though. Even at trackday (not race) pace I was getting 3rd lap brake fade until I added the scoop and changed to the Brembo pads. Now the rotor doesn't even turn blue anymore:)

EBRforum Newb
    Thanks for the real life feedback on the brake duct. Definitely will put it back on when I go to byers.
    Kinda strayed a bit from the windscreen topic here, but fun discussion.

EBRforum Newb
    The RZ500 is confidence inspiring on the track - and unpredictably deadly on the street. I've owned mine for 39 years and have track tuned it.
    The chassis & forks have a weird flex if the bike isn't dynamically loaded. It still flexes when loaded but surprisingly it gives great feedback and predictability. I agree about riding like that on the street - in fact I have a steel plate for a collar bone that reminds every day..!
    Been riding the Hammerhead somewhat brisk and am thrilled with the control and confidence inspiring feel. The Double Bubble completed the bike in my opinion.

Did you do the rest of the simple upgrades to really transform the machine?
    Oberon clutch slave (literally cuts the clutch lever pull in HALF)
    Laser align the chain (to stop the swingarm wear)
    43 tooth rear sprocket (makes it feel like 50 more HP!)
    quickshifter (effortless upshifts and the Healtech one is super clean)

EBRforum Newb
    No to all :(
    The chain alignment is a smart move. Denver is sometimes surprising for what is doesn't have - will call around on that. Thanks!!
    Never expected the shifter feel to be like a 2-stroke and the 1190 is strong enough that gear selection can be a lazy task. So, no desire for the quick shifter. Same for the clutch - as delivered a person could crush a cinder block with the same effort as pulling the lever. I set the lever adjuster to 4 or 5 (it's max setting) and now a non Chuck Norris type like me can live with it on the street.
    The throttle return spring is going my first modification - the damn thing should be on my garage door, not my motorcycle..!
    I keep writing about going to Byers and most certainly the track will warrant your set-up, but for the rides I run all is ok now.
    I literally have endless canyon riding 5 miles from my garage and a 40 mile ride is over quick and very rewarding. Makes the high effort issues not a problem.
    How has your race season been? Agin, not windscreen related, but hope you have great memories already (great slides, hang off wheelies).

If you're handy at all, the chain alignment is a pretty simple but exacting task to do yourself with a laser level. I don't think you need to go as far as the swingarm shim like NCCR does (they have a vid on YouTube), but you'd need to impress on whatever shop you use how precise it needs to be.

The racing has been 'interesting'. Round #3 Bubbles went wide, off track and found some ruts. Broken heel and torn Achilles:( Round #4 I was leading the GT and with 3 corners to go, I low-sided, popped the airbag suit, and threw away that trophy. The next day I was running 3rd in SuperBike and with 6 corners to go to the finish, low sided AGAIN (this time with no airbag). Fractured Pelvis, hip, 6 ribs, and a busted collarbone:( Been at home for weeks now and will NOT race without my airbag suit ever again. The last round of '24 is October so theres some chance that we, and both bikes, could be healthy by then and have a chance to save our championships!!! Maybe...

Oh well, thanks for asking;)