Thread: Bad Fuel Pump

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    EBRforum Newb

Bad Fuel Pump

So I've been lurking on this forum for a few months gaining info about my 14 1190rx I purchased a few months back. Well now I could use some expertise. Yesterday, I go to start the bike after sitting a week and when I turned the key, there was no "whooshing" sound. I tried to start the bike but it just cranked. I turned the key off and back on and next thing I know, I hear the fuel pump kick on and the bike fires right up. Later on in the night, I have the bike idling showing a friend it and it just cuts off. I turned the key off and back on, but this time no matter what, I cannot seem to get the fuel pump to kick on.

Things I've tried to far:
    -Checked fuses - everything looks good. Even wiggled the wires going into the fuse box to make sure it wasn't a bad connection into it.
    -Checked the 4 pin connector by the battery and nothing seems to be abnormal, all of the pins look good. Wiggled this connector as well to no avail.
    -I definitely hear a relay kick on when I turn the kill switch to "run"

So at this point, I'm wondering if I have a bad connection at the fuel pump or a bad fuel pump. Everything I've researched thus far about the bikes with bad connections at the fuel pump have only caused a low fuel light. I'm definitely in need of help!

UPDATE (5/23/18):
    Issue has been fixed! Fuel pump itself was good, but a broken ground connection within the fuel pump assembly was causing it to cut out. More details/pics can be found on page 4 post #32
    Last edited by Buellster; 05-23-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Fixed Issue!!