Thread: #380 for sale - 1120 miles

EBRforum Newb

#380 for sale - 1120 miles

Hello EBR fans,

I'm a retired auto auctioneer and I attend insurance salvage auctions in the winter buying up bikes to rebuild and sell in the spring. I'm not a dealer, just a guy trying to kill time in the winter. Normally I'm a Kawasaki guy but last week I stumbled upon an EBR 1190 RX for sale. I figured, what the heck, so I bought it.

Bike has 1120 miles, starts and goes into gear. I can't drive it right now due to temperature, oil viscosity and ice on the road. Unfortunately, it comes with a SCRAP Michigan title, meaning it will never be able to see the road again unless you have a method in your state (or country) to title, license and ride the bike on the road. Don't ask me whether or not you can do this, I doubt it, ask your DMV. I'm selling it as a PARTS/TRACK bike.

When I got the bike home, the only damage I could find was the broken clutch lever and scraped left bar end. So I called the auction, talked to a friend of mine, and got the real story. Turns out, when the bike went down the handle yanked hard to the left and slammed the "stop" on the triple tree into the "stop" on the steering head tube. Consequently, the two stops each deformed slightly, which allows maybe 1-2 degrees of extra left-turn travel. In order to fix the bike, the insurance company wanted to replace the entire frame so, end of story, total loss.

Of course, if you or I were concerned about such a minor defect, we'd weld some metal in there and grind down to a satisfactory range of travel. Or not. Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is, your hands are going to slam into the tank anyway long before you hit the stop.

Being a bike nut, I could keep the bike and enjoy it this summer but I've got 9 other Kawasakis in my garage that I'm rebuilding. I've done some research on this forum and I feel for you guys with such spectacular bikes that have such an uncertain future. So, before I go ahead and list on Ebay (and deal with the headaches thereto), I thought I throw it up here to see if anyone could use it.

I've taken several photos and posted them to a shared Google Drive folder. Sorry, they're not the greatest, I'll take more tomorrow in the sunlight. But it's a start. To see the photos, visit:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Gc&usp=sharing

I'm asking $6,000. Offers for less, if your are so inclined, will depend on the ease and speed of the transaction.

I'm new to this forum stuff, so I guess you'd have to send me a private message to communicate further. I'm reluctant to post my phone number here lest I run afoul of forum rules. As it is, if I have violated some forum policy I apologize.

Cheers,

Paul
    Northville, Michigan

EBRforum Newb
    Paul, just messaged you.

Checking into my state laws....I would like to get this one back out on the road.

EBRforum Newb
    Hey folks, just a quick update. We have an unusually warm winter this year and I had a chance to take out the EBR yesterday. Runs great, drives straight! What a beast.

EBRforum Newb
    Paul,

I just sent you a private message. Let me know if you don't get it.

Chris,

EBRforum Newb
    Folks,

I've had considerable interest in the bike, but almost everyone wishes to put it back on the road.

Although I've never "washed" a Scrap title, here are a few ideas:

1. If you are licensed scrap metal processor, I can legally assign the Michigan Scrap Title to you. What you do after that I have no idea.
    2. If you are a dealer (or have a good friend who's a dealer) you could tool around on a dealer plate.
    3. If you have a friend who owns/knows a police impound yard, you could conduct an impound auction (ahem) and receive whatever titling paperwork from the tow yard/impound, take it to your DMV, and get a title. But if it ever comes back to Michigan, forget it, they have it as scrap. But most people wouldn't care about that. . . .

It's not like I'm condoning any of these ideas and I certainly don't wish to participate, but people have asked, so there you go . . ..

Oh, and FIRST FIVE GRAND GETS THE BIKE.

Paul

EBRforum Novice
    Still got it, eh?

Honestly, I think you can rebuild the bike to street legal standard, have it inspected, and get a rebuilt title in Texas. Totally legit, totally above board, etc. You might have to have the title bonded depending on the type of paperwork you have, but it's not so hard.

No washing of anything. More like legally declaring everything and proving road-worthiness.

I still say it would make a better track bike.

EBRforum Newb
    Hey all,

Just an update, bike is SOLD. Thanks everyone!