Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum, saying "Hi" with some questions

EBRforum Newb

New to the forum, saying "Hi" with some questions

Been a long time fan of Buell..... currently own the "wet bike" Official Pace & Safety bike used to pace the 2009 AMA Pro Road Racing series. Love the bike, show it all the time and best purchase I have ever made.

I am looking for a red 1190RX for sale. Yes, I know of some out there, but need to know some answers. As far as maintenance, will there be parts available to change oil, sprockets, wear items...etc. Love the bike and wished someone would have helped or taken over the EBR production (yeah, I know....probably been mentioned 1,000,000 times already, but damn).

Currently have 4 bikes, looking to trade in my 2011 GSXR750 with 12,000 miles so I can get one of the 1190RX models so I will be driving it all the time, not like my Pace Bike. The Pace Bike has 523 miles on it and sits in my living room til I bring it to a car show or gathering.

Let me know of some that have all the updates or issues taken care of.

Just joined today so I will be looking through the forum.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Hi NOS-PRO

There are probably other people on this forum better equipped on this forum to answer this question, but I will try my best. (please excuse my grammatical errors - had a 12 hour day at work)

1. Consumables (Fluids, Brake Pads) - You should have no issue here, multiple people manufacture pads for the 1190, you can buy them off the shelf. The oil is standard Amsoil synthetic - expensive, but widely available.
    2. Sprockets - The rear sprocket can be purchased from Vortex, the front sprocket is hard to find and has wear issues, it is a unique and has a cush, people in this forum are working on a solution.
    3. Front Rotor - These are hard to find, AF1 has few in stock and they are quite expensive. I had a scare when I first bought my bike that the front rotor was defective. I remedied the problem with out having to spend money on a new rotor.
    4. Computer - Some people have had issues with the front cluster - some of these issues are easy to remedy, some require a new dash - this can be quite expensive. There are various posts on this forum that detail this issue. I have had none so far, but I have only had my bike for two months.
    5. Stator - There have been accounts of bikes having a bad stator, I believe you may be able to use the 1125r stator, if not a new one is around $500.
    6 Battery - The battery is a Shorai lithium unit. Replacement is expensive but they are widely available. Lithium batteries have trouble cranking in extreme cold, this is not unique to Buell
    7. Front Exhaust Header - These are poorly made and people have had issues with cracking. This is an easy fix - take the header off and have the local muffler guy weld it.

I got my bike for 10k. I knew there were some issues with the bike when i purchased it, but it was a price I could not pass up. I am sure there are more issues, but I think it is important to keep in mind that any internet forum leads its self to confirmation bias - people with problems are more likely to post than people without issues - those guys are out riding.

Good luck on your purchase!
    Last edited by Jbaker229; 01-21-2016 at 06:58 PM.

EBRforum Junkie
    I am looking for a red 1190RX for sale.
    My red one may go up for sale in the next month. I'm keeping the yellow one though.

EBRforum Junkie
    There are two new red ones at BMW Motorcycles of Jacksonville, located in Orange Park, FL. They are very competitive with price, and if you buy the one still in the crate, shipping would be very easy to arrange. If you decide to talk to them about options, ask for Tim. I bought my EBR from him this week and he was awesome to work with. Went above and beyond.

EBRforum Junkie
    3. Front Rotor - These are hard to find, AF1 has few in stock and they are quite expensive. I had a scare when I first bought my bike that the front rotor was defective. I remedied the problem with out having to spend money on a new rotor.
    There are none left in the distribution chain. I snagged the last 8 that showed up unannounced about 2 months ago. Aftermarket is your only option at this point. I'm keeping my last 2 spares.

6 Battery - The battery is a Shorai lithium unit. Replacement is expensive but they are widely available. Lithium batteries have trouble cranking in extreme cold, this is not unique to Buell
    Shorai has a VERY good warranty process. I just had mine warrantied out of the 2nd bike, #049 so it was close to 2 years old. No charge, they're shipping me a brand new one.

7. Front Exhaust Header - These are poorly made and people have had issues with cracking. This is an easy fix - take the header off and have the local muffler guy weld it.
    The issue with these was the lack of purge gas on the inside when they were originally made. They suffer from sugaring on the inside and are weak at the welds. Cutting them apart and cleaning up the mess inside may not be worth the effort if you want to break even on these. I do know one guy that has done it and has a fixture for it, but I don't know if he's up for doing any more of them.

EBRforum Newb
    I have a red one for sale, #380. I bought it at an insurance auction, has only 1120 miles but it comes with a scrap title. See my post elsewhere in the 1190RX forum for the entire story and photos. Would make a great track bike. Because of the title issue, I've gotta be the cheapest around and I'll entertain reasonable offers. Asking $6,000.

EBRforum Newb
    Thanks for all the info guys....really helpful and even wth these issues, I still want to purchase one or possibly two if the price is right. 1, I would keep next to the Pace Bike and the other I would drive daily.

It's good to know that "wear items" like brake pads and so forth will be available yet and I work at a machine shop, so if there is a demand for some parts to be made, someone knows what steel the brake rotors are made out of...I should be able to reverse engineer them. WIsh I could get my hands on some prints and metal certs. d_adams, if the need comes up for rotors....would it be possible to be without 1 so I could reverse engineer one of these from you? It would just be to take dimensions off of. Just think I could help with these...if the need came up.

I have a sponsor for my asphalt racing that is killer on making headers and reprogramming ECU's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1015303_zpsfbeff8aa.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	777  

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS-PRO View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys....really helpful and even wth these issues, I still want to purchase one or possibly two if the price is right. 1, I would keep next to the Pace Bike and the other I would drive daily.

It's good to know that "wear items" like brake pads and so forth will be available yet and I work at a machine shop, so if there is a demand for some parts to be made, someone knows what steel the brake rotors are made out of...I should be able to reverse engineer them. WIsh I could get my hands on some prints and metal certs. d_adams, if the need comes up for rotors....would it be possible to be without 1 so I could reverse engineer one of these from you? It would just be to take dimensions off of. Just think I could help with these...if the need came up.

I have a sponsor for my asphalt racing that is killer on making headers and reprogramming ECU's.

It would be awesome to have someone who could make the rotors -they would probably make a killing too!

EBRforum Junkie
    I've thought about it. Even ran the idea by my machinist. There's a lot that goes into making them though.

We have two new oem front rotors left in stock. Can't get more