Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Replacement battery

found an ETX36C open box on Amazon for $220, I bit. Should be able to fire it up next week.
    2014 1190SX

At least that bigger ETX36C has similar rated CCA (320 vs 315) to the OE Shorai. The other one was only 270. Good luck, post what you find. Do you have an inductive meter or other capability to check amp draw that high? I would love to see testing:)

Put a clamp meter on it while starting, the readings happen pretty fast so the display was having a hard time keeping up but saw (over) 300 amps momentarily??? battery is tight fit for width, length and height are fine. I think it will be fine with a little manipulation of the harness and how I connect the positive wire to the battery. Battery comes with terminal extenders so positive wire can go more "over the top" to clear the harness bundle. Why is the ground strap so long, going all the way around the battery??? Can anyone tell me why the early one piece tail cracks? is it from trying to remove it without taking off the seat latch etc? Fricking snow and bitter cold, it's going to be a LOOONG winter.
    2014 1190SX

EBRforum Newb
    Hey man - I picked up a 2014 SX last October. Get this - it had 34 miles on it when I purchased it (from an H-D dealer in Florida), but 84 when it got to me! I was none too happy. Anyway, I appreciate your digging on the battery thing, as I need a new replacement for my Shorai as well. I'm having a bit of sticker shock with the buy in price, although if I could find an open box like you did, I might bite also. I was also thinking about a gel-type as a substitute - did you ever look into that? Lastly, I fully concur with this damn winter thing - I am in NW Minnesota! This has been the worst early winter combination of snow and low temps in about the last 15 years I'd say. Can't wait to get the SX broken in! Not sure how much searching for 'stuff' you have done otherwise, but there's a great place in Sweden (of all places!) called NCCR.se - I bought a tinted windscreen for mine from them. They are a pretty interesting outfit.

The earthX battery comes with a couple of brass cable "movers", let me run the positive cable a bit higher so the battery fit great even with a "battery cozy" I made out of rubber drawer liner.

Gave up, road trip south next week (in the van). I stuck with looking for Li-on but don't think it needs to be as strong as this one. I'll check NCCR.se out, thnx!
    Last edited by gggGary; 03-03-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    2014 1190SX

HayaBrusa, welcome to the SX clan!

I would NOT try to put in a AGM battery. They max out about 220CCA. The Shorai is about 340CCA!. Theres other Li-ion options if you look, but don't be suckered by fake stats on chinese units.

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    HayaBrusa, welcome to the SX clan!

I would NOT try to put in a AGM battery. They max out about 220CCA. The Shorai is about 340CCA!. Theres other Li-ion options if you look, but don't be suckered by fake stats on chinese units.
    AGM

I won't argue with Cooter's numbers, but I will admit the # on the AGM battery I bought for the SX Beta is a Batteries Plus XTAZ14S. I recall it was about 115.00 ( a quick internet search suggests they can be had a LOT cheaper)I bought it just to power up the bike for mileage data to submit to the DMV fro titling, but I tried cranking it and it fired up just fine.
    It fit, but was a bit too wide, so the seat pan doesn't quite meet the tail by about 1/16th at the back. when I sit on it the pan deforms enough to close that. I'm sure that's not good for the battery,
    and I don't pretend it would be as good as the Shorai either ,but it seems to be working OK for now, and is easy to find.

EBRforum Newb
    Did the Shorai LFX21A7-BS12 get discontinued? I can't find it for sale anywhere. Shorai site says it's $159.95 and a charger is another $90 or so. That seems like the way to go in my mind for value. I'd rather replace a $159 battery every 3 or so years and use the charger to manage balancing cells.

EBRforum Newb
    I just got an email from Shorai saying that they no longer manufacture that battery. They suggested a YTZ10S as a replacement. Only 190 CCA though.... And it's a different size. From what I can tell, in all their glorious wisdom, EBR decided to use a completely custom sized battery for our bikes and no one currently makes a battery in the same size.

Has anyone tried disassembling their Shorai battery and replacing the individual cells? Maybe adding a balancing circuit as well?

EBRforum Newb
    It looks like I'm the only one that cares about this thread but just in case anyone comes along in the future with the same problem....... As of 4/16/2019 EBR is still selling parts and has OEM Shorai batteries in stock. You can purchase from their web store.