Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement battery

Thank for the reply Cooter. Is the Shorai available? The shorai site doesn't have purchase button for THAT battery. No link to it in the menu either. Found one at https://www.batterystuff.com/batteri...21a7-bs12.html but they want $50 more than suggested list, then is that an "old stock" battery?... Does Shorai have a built in battery management system? About every one else now does. Seems pretty important. No battery (yet) means I won't go out and try and ride it on salty, nasty roads. What could go wrong?
    Name:  kid candy stor.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  27.2 KB

This Scorpion seems like its a (snug) fit when I mocked one up out of foam.

Is there any reason to NOT have a ECU disconnect to prevent the battery from discharging in storage?
    Last edited by gggGary; 01-07-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    2014 1190SX

Thnx, Yes I see that Shorai but there's no buy link or nav to it on the site, others have reported it's NLA?
    Scorpion mock up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery mock up.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	699.2 KB 
ID:	2095
    Last edited by gggGary; 01-07-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    2014 1190SX

I would call Shorai for the definite answer before I bought a Chinese unit that won't post specs. They're in Nor Cal and really big EBR/ Buell fans.

Been really looking for some lithium "facts" this thread is the best info I've found so far.
    https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...imer-(LiFePO4)
    If you wade in, are some pics of a Shorai that's been dissected. Really think internal cell balancing circuitry is a must have.
    Sure wish there were some lithiums designed for customs that have a box that just covers the cells and isn't butchered to retrofit existing battery sizes. It's not impossible to do a roll your own from fleabay components, but that is a long engineering project on it's own.
    Any opinions on downsides to a disconnect to prevent parasite draw while the bike sits?
    2014 1190SX

I never had an issue with disconnecting my battery, except the PITA of removing the seat with the tail tidy mounting bracket on it. Li-ion with self discharge too though. I did find a 400amp rated smallish battery disconnect switch that I was going to mount, but never found a 'clean' place for it.

Mine would go a solid 5 days without issue but I gave up with all the disconnects I had, and just plug in the Shorai charger (that balances the cells) when I come back home. I mounted the charger pigtail to the back of the license plate for super quick connecting.

EBRforum Junkie
    I tried a Battery Tender battery. Worked fine for me. It was actually smaller than the Shorai but was fine with the foam panels installed.

So this link to the Aprilia forum is like the definitive thread on Lithium Batteries
    After reading through it several times and near endless searching over 4 days I think I have decided on the earthX ETX24C. It has the elusive combo of fitting in the tiny space available, enough cranking power for the 1190 and the battery protection circuitry I feel is needed for long battery life.

ETX24C specs
    Pulse Crank Amps (PCA): 420A
    Cold Crank Amps (CCA): 270A
    Dimensions: 5.9in (L) x 3.4in (W) x 4.5in (H)150mm(L)x86mm(W)x115mm(H)
    Over discharge protection
    Over charge protection
    Built in cell balancing technology
    Short circuit protection up to 1,000 amps
    Excessive cranking protection

Since It's winter in Wisconsin I have 2 months before this beastie hits the streets, will wait a few days before pulling the $259 trigger and would appreciate any comments yeahs, nays, or flaws in the plan.
    2014 1190SX

My battery seems to be holding the charge good for now, but since it's weak spot in these bikes, would getting the shorai's battery charge/management system be a good idea? It doesn't have a jump start feature, that I think would be useful if one day the bike would refuse to start.

I am now chewing on the EarthX ETX24C @ 259
    Ah: 7.8A
    Pulse Crank Amps (PCA): 420A
    Cold Crank Amps (CCA): 270A
    Weight: 2.6 lb

vs EarthX ETX36C @ $349 same size housing! More cells packed in?
    Ah: 12.4A
    Pulse Crank Amps (PCA): 680A
    Cold Crank Amps (CCA): 320A
    Weight: 3.9 lb
    So the $90 question is will I need or use the extra capacity?
    2014 1190SX