Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Dilemma

EBRforum Novice

Upcoming Dilemma

So after the new year I will be traveling for work for the whole year, my bikes will be left unused in the garage/shed for a full year.

I have a few of them and am curious what type of preventive measure I should take to prevent any issues when I get back. I have toped off the fuel with Sta-bil and Startron (ethanol treatment) and rode it about 60 min before putting them up. I think that the same measure would apply to each one, but here is what I have. If there are any special things to look into for a specific bike, please let me know.

1989 Cafe Raced Sportster
    2003 Buell Blast
    2006 Buell Uly
    2008 1125R
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic (daily driver year round)
    2014 EBR 1190SX (just purchased 250 miles so far)

By the way I'm in CT and traveling to Florida (Riviera Beach and Panama City) for the year and can't take them with me. I am actually looking to buy something while I'm down there and will sell when I leave if anyone knows of a good bike for a good deal (does't have to be a Buell/EBR/Harley). I am looking around craigslist and have seen a couple Street Triples, V-Strom, or FJR's that are enticing.

Cross posting to BadWeb for input also.

Thanks for all replies
    Jeremy

A year isn't so bad. But life is funny and one year turns into 5 faster than you think!!

Take the batteries out and on a float charger, put them on stands, grease the fork tubes/chains/anyhting that might rust, and I'd flush the fuel with REC 90 or anything ethanol free. Put the gas thats in them now in the car or lawnmower. It's a PITA with that many bikes but I have had no luck with Sta-bil lately. Even just 6-8 months!!

I just saw the date! haha, What a noob....

Hope you got back to the NE! I'm going to get another coffee.....

[QUOTE=Cooter;11704]I just saw the date! haha, What a noob....

LOL. I've done it too.

EBRforum Novice
    Cooter, thanks for the reply. I ended up only being gone for 6 months and have been back a year now. Luckily I have some good friend and ended up taking the bikes out for a short trip every couple weeks. Sure missed the SX at home, but comforted myself by buying a BMW K1200S while I was in FL for the 6 months. Neighbor ended up buying it when I was getting ready to leave, so she is still in the neighborhood. That sure was a comfortable bike, and fast.

K1200S is a nice ride! Glad you got out of FL they be cray-cray

EBRforum Novice
    and I thought drivers in the northeast sucked, didn't even compare to WPB from January to July. Glad I got out of there, sold the bike and now can focus on the ones in the garage and shed now.