Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air filter question

EBRforum Junkie

Air filter question

I haven't tried yet, but am I correct in that the air filter is cleanable, much like the K&N ?

Surprised how dirty is.
    My S1000r BMW went two full years of the same trip/miles to and from without needing a filter. As I recall, when I was driving my 1125CR, it didn't need but every two years and then it was still a sorta needs..!?

Mike

EBRforum Junkie
    If the filter material is the same as what the K&N filters are made of then they can be serviced like a K&N with a special wash and oiling.

I was cleaning the filter through the first 3500 km, then after 2500 km, then after 2000 km (about once every 2-3 weeks). Even after such small milleage, the filter was clogged and the whole insect.
    After the seventh maintenance metal mesh is torn, filter should be changed.
    Very unfortunate location of the air filter on this bike - it is not covered, and it gets the road dirt and insects.
    Last edited by zviadi; 11-26-2015 at 01:51 AM.
    EBR 1190 RX

1125 have different design of Ram-Air and airbox, so the air filter can be serviced frequently. But still: every two years - this is very rare.
    Perhaps you have a very clean roads and roadsides...
    EBR 1190 RX

And yet - in my 1190 when dirty air filter at high revs the oil from the crankcase breather began to suck in airbox. This is another reason to maintain the air filter frequently.
    EBR 1190 RX

EBRforum Junkie
    buell-fan -
    "IF"... that's my question..! A proper answer would be one with exact knowledge.

zviadi -
    Thanks, that what I was looking for.
    Looks like I'll be keeping a closer eye on it. I've only had the bike since March. So...maybe like you say, every coupla months or so. All of the "stuff" on mine is from the outside in. The airbox tray is pretty clean.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    So...maybe like you say, every coupla months or so. All of the "stuff" on mine is from the outside in.
    No, Mike, not every once in 2-3 months - once in 2-3 weeks! And the inside of airbox mine is clean - because air filter still works.

Perhaps in USA or Europe have clean roads (without dust and sand) and frequently inspect the filter is not necessary… but in Russia for 15300 km, that I rode EBR, I inspected mine air filter seven times. And seven times he was so dirty, as if his roll in the mud on both sides.
    I did the first time encountered such a phenomenon - no one my bike was not like this!
    In addition to sucking oil from the crankcase ventilation, with dirty air filter I feel a great loss of engine power.
    Last edited by zviadi; 11-26-2015 at 02:52 PM.
    EBR 1190 RX

EBRforum Junkie
    After looking into this, these filters are similar to the rest of the gauze filter manufacturers.
    So...a good cleaning, reoiling is in order. Interesting thing is, I could not find anything about cleaning them in the Owners Manual or the Repair Manual. Not very nice of the "manufacturer" to leave this crucial information out of the Owners Manual..!

Mike

Your air filter is clean? I can only envy)))

For cleaning you can use special cleaning liquid K&N, which comes complete with their filter oil.
    However from my experience, if filter very dirty, this liquid can not help.
    So I just use dishwashing liquid ("Fairy", for example) or loundry (!) soap under a gentle stream of warm water. After washing the filter on both sides should be burgundy. Then he gave filter dry, then soaked it with oil K&N. Air filter can't be dried over on fire or on a battery - only naturally in the air.

If you wrap the oiled air filter in a towel and put in a plastic bag - after a while it will change its shape, and you can not insert it in airbox. I got this when served in the first maintence. We had to wait half an hour, until he took a normal form.
    Last edited by zviadi; 11-27-2015 at 02:26 PM.
    EBR 1190 RX

EBRforum ProvNov
    "Interesting thing is, I could not find anything about cleaning them in the Owners Manual or the Repair Manual. Not very nice of the "manufacturer" to leave this crucial information out of the Owners Manual..!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1190RX air filter maintenance.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	742

I found it in my copy of the Owners Manual. I'll admit that it wasn't as easy to find as it should have been, but it is in there...