Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil Filter

EBRforum Junkie
    Kid -

I love this type comment..!? How do you "know" that a non-OEM filter provides no changes in pressure from using an OEM filter ? You've installed a pressure gauge on your bike ? I think they should have them myself.

I don't know, does the Touno have an oil pressure gauge ? Do you actually "know" that there's been no changes ? Do you "know" that the oil pressure is the same as with...say the K&N ?

Yes, on the surface, the HiFlow "appears" the same as the Buell, OEM filter, or the maybe Aprilia in this case (I don't know what an Aprilia OEM filter looks like or who may have manufactured them), but since few, if any modern bikes have oil pressure gauges...I doubt that you "really" know.

Mike

I inserted a pressure gauge to check the oil pressure. I use HiFlo 564. On the Aprilia's Rotax motors, on Buells 1125 and 1190 used the same oil filters.
    You're too serious about such trifles.
    With these filters are no problems on the track at high loads, why them should be a problem during normal city driving?
    Last edited by zviadi; 01-01-2017 at 06:24 AM.
    EBR 1190 RX

EBRforum Junkie
    zviadi -

No, not too serious.
    I just have a hard time with people that think that because something didn't "fail" when a particular change was made, that, that change is good or alright..! When in fact, something did (or could) change without actually causing some type of failure, that person "truly" does not know what may or may not have happened.

Having had a couple of race cars myself and have helped work on many friends race cars and motorcycles, and working in the Aerospace Industry, I know that small changes can do many things...from nothing positive OR negative to very positive OR very negative.
    Without having some sort of actual form of measurement to fully understand what may have changed, one has any idea what actually happened...good, bad or no change at all.

So yes, in my own cars, bikes, helping others and at work, I need to know the...specifics of any changes that are made to the item we are working with to understand the whole.

Simple item - When you look at a tire on your car, bike, truck, airplane, etc., how do you "know" what the tire pressure is ? Just because it doesn't "appear" flat, does not mean that there is enough air in it to work properly. A modern day radial tire can "appear" properly filled with air, when in fact, it may only have 18 or 20 PSI...when it's supposed to have 32/35 PSI.

Hope that helps you understand my attitude toward not having "facts" on hand.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike; 01-01-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Tire pressure is selected by a manual it should be recommended by the manufacturer. It has a tolerance of +/-.
    Many of those who ride on the track, the pressure is selected for his feelings.

With oil filter much easier - the size of the particles to be filtered and the ability to keep the pressure in oil system. HiFlo is good manufacturer. I had no problems with either the bike over 11 years of use.
    Last edited by zviadi; 01-01-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    EBR 1190 RX

EBRforum Junkie
    zviadi -

You aren't getting it..! The tire example is sort of a metaphor.

The key word is..."verify".
    No one can verify anything by saying "it runs fine", not without...verifying...the given situation.

Mike

EBRforum Junkie
    Look, the HiFlo is a recommend replacement for the Aprilia motors. So I took their word for it that it is an adequate replacement.

EBRforum Junkie
    I also have over 65,000 miles without any oil related problems. That may not be a lot of miles in the scheme of testing but that's all I got.
    Last edited by Kid Thunder; 02-08-2017 at 11:59 PM.