Thread: Defective dash repair thoughts

EBRforum ProvNov

Defective dash repair thoughts

My dash is working fine but I can't ignore that there is a failure pattern that could sooner or later impact me. If or when mine fails I am pretty sure I can get to the bottom of it, but I think it might be better to get ahead of the problem and helpful for others. I have been combing the HED world for whitepapers and software support and it lead to some interesting ideas, I would really like to get ahold of a few failed dashes and look into the failure mode(s).

What I also find interesting is HED has a toolchain for end users to modify the display layout for most of their products, I am willing to bet that for a small production run like the EBR dash that they didn't deviate much from the existing lineup and that the layout software would work on this unit, in fact it makes total sense that this is how EBR altered the display layout in house. The software they have is called Orchestra and I am sure it will work with our dash, could prove useful for ALLOT of things. What I am certain of is that the software upgrades offered by EBR are NOT the cause of any failures.

If a few fellow EBR owners could send me their failed dashes I can get a testbed up and going to explore the Orchestra software for display modification, and start looking for a root cause of failure. I want to be clear I cannot promise anything, it might be a stupid common component and easy to source or something proprietary that can't be. I am also hoping that some former/current EBR employee might back channel some shortcuts to me after reading this .......... So if you have a failed dash and want to help out please send me a PM!

I really want to see what protections they used in this section, the intermittent communication errors with the can bus make me suspicious.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	1534
    Last edited by Subarubrat; 07-08-2017 at 12:31 AM.

EBRforum Junkie
    As it was explained to me, the PCB is 5 layers deep, 2 pins (outer edge, but I don't recall which 2) are breaking solder somewhere inside and losing their connection. They've done X-ray testing, etc and have found nothing. HED did testing as well, same result. Just a FYI.