Thread: 2014 Erik Buell Racing 1190RX – First Look

EBRforum Expert

2014 Erik Buell Racing 1190RX – First Look

By Kevin Cameron: http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/10/22/2014-erik-buell-racing-1190rx-first-look-review-photos/

"Back to hardware. Get this: In a same day, same dyno test against a privately owned Ducati 1199 Panigale, the 419-pound 1190RX allegedly topped the Italian V-twin by one horsepower and made mincemeat of it in the midrange. I learned this from EBR engineers at the recent AIMExpo in Orlando, Florida, where the RX debut took place."

80% of the RX torque is available from 4000 revs on up....the 1199 has no midrange at all.

It's going to be a wheelie, tire eating monster.....I LOVE torque, and midrange. I could care less about peak hp since its so very rarely used. Ducati wanted a big hp number because that sells bikes. People buy on spec sheets.

Hell, the Aprilia RSV4 makes a solid 20 more hp in the midrange over their $70K Ducati Desmosidici.

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    It's going to be a wheelie, tire eating monster.....
    I'm learning some extra wheelbase is really important on these bikes, at least the 1125r. Add a couple of links to the chain. They still handle well, even at 55-56" wheelbase, and don't eat tires nearly as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    80% of the RX torque is available from 4000 revs on up....the 1199 has no midrange at all.

It's going to be a wheelie, tire eating monster.....I LOVE torque, and midrange. I could care less about peak hp since its so very rarely used. Ducati wanted a big hp number because that sells bikes. People buy on spec sheets.
    I could not agree more. I learned back during my time in the aviation industry, you can't fly/ride a spec sheet. Spec sheets make suggestions but throttles make impressions. The P-61 Blackwidow was a twin engine fighter late in WWII that was as big as a bomber. The specs said it would be mediocer but it was among the fastest and best handling fighters of the war due to its radical design.

I hope its NOT a wheelie machine, leave that for the SX. WB is 55.6" and attitude looks to put a more weight on the front. I hope it keeps its head down and just hooks up or spin up calmly.