Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: EBR in World Superbike

EBR in World Superbike

The announcement that they will be participating in World Superbike is nearly as exciting to me as the bike itself, and I was hoping we can get some conversation/speculation going during the looooong wait until they'll actually be competing.

We know Geoff May will be riding, will there be another rider? If so, who? I certainly hope they will have a second rider.

Cory West and Aaron Yates should be available if the team feels they're the right fit. Personally I'd rather see Cory than Aaron if those are the two choices. Cory has shown moments of brilliance and he's still relatively young. Aaron is older and wiser and could probably be more competitive in 2014 than Cory, but I'm interested in the long-term. They will likely be struggling to even break the top 10 next year, but a young rider can learn and grow and be more competitive in years to come.

A rider with real Superbike experience would be great. Are there any talented riders who aren't committed for next year yet? I'd be interested in names that might not be known yet. There must be talented young riders in the WSBK support classes who have some experience on the tracks and would be ready to move up to Superbike.

It seems that EBR has been tight-lipped and said very little other than: "We'll be racing World Superbike in 2014". Has anyone heard even any vague rumors or speculation about their plans?

Will BEIN Sports channel still televise WSBK in 2014? Comcast seems to have a shaky relationship with BEIN. They carried the channel this year but not in HD. Recently when I've tried to access the channel it doesn't seem available anymore. I believe the WSBK races were available live on the internet and presumably still will be, but I'm hping to get real big-screen HD broadcasts. Anybody know anything about the current and future coverage?

And what rounds will be in the US next year? I might make a road-trip to see that. One interesting thing about EBR's participation is they will probably not only bring many US fans to the sport, but Hero's involvement should bring some Indian interest. That could be as good for WSBK as it is for EBR and Hero.

EBRforum Expert
    Cycle News article up just now with some more details; there will be a SECOND team as well:

http://www.cyclenews.com/585/22511/R...Superbike.aspx

I think it will be great as the Americans will be mentioned no matter where they place. If they race under EVO class they will be very competitive. Aprilia is a scooter company that buit a moto gp machine for the street which is why it wins. Everyone esle with the exception of Ducati builds street bikes, planes trains and automobiles and races sport bikes on the side. EBR has always been about building a great race bike that works on the street. The EVO class is about what factories sell instead of what teams with deep pockets can develop like WSBK and even AMA to a great extent. Too bad we couldn't get Josh Hayes or Nicky Haden or even Danny Eslik to get on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
    Cycle News article up just now with some more details; there will be a SECOND team as well:

http://www.cyclenews.com/585/22511/R...Superbike.aspx
    Great find! By avoiding naming the second rider, isn't that as good as saying it won't be Aaron? I guess they could be hanging on to him as a default in case they don't find anyone else.

If they are going with a different rider, I hope someone in the AMA will pick Aaron up. It's a tough time to be a rider, but a good time to be in the market for a rider.

It's interesting that he comments about the testing ban starting in December and the work they'll try to get in before then. We may be getting some reports from some warmer climate tracks soon that might give us a hint who the second rider will be.

Looks like this pushed the boys at Bologna over the edge. The RX shot over the bow has been answered with http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...ally-unveiled/ . That's definitely a bid to homulgate in to race a bike that will finally run at the front in WSBK. I still think RS is a better buy and The Perscription doubly so!

[QUOTE=Scott;495]Will BEIN Sports channel still televise WSBK in 2014? Comcast seems to have a shaky relationship with BEIN. They carried the channel this year but not in HD. Recently when I've tried to access the channel it doesn't seem available anymore. I believe the WSBK races were available live on the internet and presumably still will be, but I'm hping to get real big-screen HD broadcasts. Anybody know anything about the current and future coverage?

And what rounds will be in the US next year? I might make a road-trip to see that. One interesting thing about EBR's participation is they will probably not only bring many US fans to the sport, but Hero's involvement should bring some Indian interest. That could be as good for WSBK as it is for EBR and Hero.QUOTE]

I think it has alot to do with your region of the country. We get it fine hear in Texas but not in HD. Seeing that MotoGP is going to Indy and COTA and not Laguna next year I don't see Dorna passing on COTA. BIG track to really let the superbikes stretch their legs. Indy will be refurbished but not as challenging as COTA. I would road trip either way to see a EBR in WSBK.

Quote Originally Posted by Classax View Post
    Looks like this pushed the boys at Bologna over the edge. The RX shot over the bow has been answered with http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...ally-unveiled/ . That's definitely a bid to homulgate in to race a bike that will finally run at the front in WSBK. I still think RS is a better buy and The Perscription doubly so!
    Wouldn't they have to sell something like 3000 a year? I think you need to be a lawyer to read and understand the rules, but I thought they were specifically designed to prevent companies from making very low volume, high cost bikes. http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Sep/e/n070927d.htm

I think it has alot to do with your region of the country. We get it fine hear in Texas but not in HD. Seeing that MotoGP is going to Indy and COTA and not Laguna next year I don't see Dorna passing on COTA. BIG track to really let the superbikes stretch their legs. Indy will be refurbished but not as challenging as COTA. I would road trip either way to see a EBR in WSBK.
    So you think they'll do COTA but nothing official has been announced yet? Am I interpreting correctly?

FIM and Dorna rules seem to change with the weather. The way I understand its of the various models so between base, s, tri color, r and the super however you call it they have to hit 3000 units sold( shipped for sale) a year. They would still get to use the up version parts under EVO rules. Its the Ducati MOTO "It's not cheating if exploit the rules, only if you break them."

Yea I think COTA because its one of only a locations in the USA that meet ALL the facilities requirements they have for the tracks and with MOTOGP already going to be there, Dorna already having a relationship, and Indy being a big IF it seems like the logical choice. If it isn't I'd be shocked but nothing has been published yet.

FIM and Dorna rules seem to change with the weather. The way I understand its of the various models so between base, s, tri color, r and the super however you call it they have to hit 3000 units sold( shipped for sale) a year. They would still get to use the up version parts under EVO rules. Its the Ducati MOTO "It's not cheating if exploit the rules, only if you break them."

Yea I think COTA because its one of only a locations in the USA that meet ALL the facilities requirements they have for the tracks and with MOTOGP already going to be there, Dorna already having a relationship, and Indy being a big IF it seems like the logical choice. If it isn't I'd be shocked but nothing has been published yet.
    Looks like a great track. As for the rules, they certainly kee[ claiming the goal is to keep costs down, so I hope they will do something to prevent what could be an escalating 'arms race'. To me. the attraction of Superbike over Moto GP is we get to see what bikes that are actually similar to what we can buy can do. I'd like to see them go more stock and hold some price caps so that teams are racing real bikes. And if they need more performance, they can work hard to find an inexpensive improvement to the street-bike. We win that way.