Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce & Erik: I need a Finishing Kit!

EBRforum ProvNov
    Name:  ebrpipes.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  105.3 KB
    Got these tips bent and cut at a local muffler shop for about $10. Got a bit of a hookup, probably would've cost $20 to the average joe off the street. Dude just used a piece of tail scrap that matched the diameter of the outlets and crimped them. Then put a slight bend in them and slash cut the tips until I was happy with the length. Laid about 4 coats of VHT Metallic Black Header paint on them, 2x20 minutes on the Weber @ 200 degrees to cure the paint, and DONE! $20 total cost.

EBRforum Junkie
    Finally got my muffler tip pieces.
    After a coupla failed attempts at two muffler shops... Their benders crushed the inside radius too much, despite saying "it wasn't too bad" on the phone..!
    Found a shop not too far from home that does precision mandrel bending, two pieces of 2", 304 stainless tube, $16.00 ea. No crushed or wrinkled areas.
    They even had different inside radii to choose from.
    A little measuring, hack saw work, deburring and all will be done.

So yea, it pays to look around a bit..!

Mike

EBRforum Novice
    Does anyone have some measurements or pictures as examples of how much to bend the pipes or is it better to bring the bike and have them custom bent and fit right there?

if anyone removes their whole exhaust I would love to see some kind of walk through. I would like to do that to mine but I don't really want to get a PCv or anything like that. I would really just prefer EBR to make a kit / ECU option for a "standard" pipe with proper bends in it to obtain at set pressure. Obviously mainly looking for a muffler delete kit kinda, surely there are plenty of pros to doing something like this.

EBRforum Junkie
    The bend radius is about a 45 degree angle, plus or minus a degree or two with about a 2" bend radius.
    Once you put the pieces on the bike/muffler, it's up to the owner to trim and rotate to your desire..

Slick -
    Removing the whole exhaust...requires a whole new system, not just the tips..!
    Proper bends, what you don't like to be off one or two degrees...something you'll never even see..!? Also depends on how much YOU rotate the tips..!

Beside, I don't want the SAME thing everyone in EBR'dom else has. One reason I haven't made a big deal out of getting tips in the first place. Playing around this evening (while getting ready to weld my broken front muffler bracket tomorrow), I started cutting small pieces off until I got the bottom tube where "I" want it, then started cutting the top tube to get it to match up to the bottom tubes location.
    I will not be doing the EBR, "slash cut" like everyone seems to like. I have a couple of ideas in mind but have to wait till I weld the muffler bracket and move the bike so I can better see the right side of the bike.
    Mine aren't going to stick up in the air either. A little flatter, closer to the swing arm, possibly a little longer than normal also.

Imagination, the key to being an individual.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike; 09-11-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Mike I am getting a dean Adams exhaust, so I will have a stock exhaust WITH the slash cut tips,wont be looking for all that much for em both. It may be a month or a bit more until my new exhaust gets here. Let me know if you're interested ��

EBRforum Novice
    Mike - I agree with having a one-off type of exhaust. I'm a huge fan of individualism and this would give me the option to have my own little twist on the exhaust exits. I will be receiving my SX via shipping from CA in a couple weeks; then I will be able to map out the right design. I am more leaning towards following the swing arm downward sweep.

Wonder which type of exhaust material to use for the tips, SS (409 or 304)or aluminum. Which one would hold up the best?

EBRforum Junkie
    Use 304ss. 409 will rust, even though it's stainless.

RX1190 Kevin, I will be interested in the tips if I don't have something else by then. I am also local to you as well

EBRforum Junkie
    rx1190kevin -

thanks for the offer, but as you may have read, I already have the tubing to make into outlets/tips, and as of a few hours ago, they are trimmed and installed. At least as a first shot at liking their, as is appearance.

Mike