Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain slap and O2 code

EBRforum Newb

Chain slap and O2 code

I'm new to EBR as I've just acquired an 1190rx. Bike was "new" at auction in the crate. Once opened up it was a demo bike with 415 miles on the clock. After a bunch of effort to track down why she would not start I got her going. First ride was to Deals Gap (Dragon). I have 2 issues I hope you guys can shed light on.
    1. The chain sag is set at 30mm per the book but it seems to miss teeth and jumps and slaps violently until 4500 rpm or so. To travel 62 mph I must run in 4th gear or lower. 5-6th cannot be used for fear of damage. The chain and guide is getting its butt kicked! Ideas?
    2. About every 3rd time I fire it up and generally it's a hot start I get an engine code. It's for the front O2 heater. Turn it off it's gone. I assume it's a bad O2 but in my experience it would not come and go, bad is bad. Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynoman View Post
    2. About every 3rd time I fire it up and generally it's a hot start I get an engine code. It's for the front O2 heater. Turn it off it's gone. I assume it's a bad O2 but in my experience it would not come and go, bad is bad. Ideas?
    A similar problem. Do nothing, so I drove nearly 6,000 miles.
    Counter-question - how did you know of this inscription on the dash, that the case of O2 sensor?
    EBR 1190 RX

About the chain - until I have never regulated her tension. It is still in the admission. Nothing rattles and slaps, whole teeth. Often fire before rev limiter in the four gears.
    EBR 1190 RX

Dynoamn,

I can say with a high degree of certainty that you probably have very little actually wrong with your bike. As far as error codes and bad behavior while riding under 4,500rpms. (IMO) You simply shouldn't be riding under 4,000rpms, I had the same issues you are having and they cleared themselves up with a slight change in riding habits. I was used to the XBs with a rev limit around 5500rpms so keeping the engine at a lower rpm just felt natural. This bike is not that way, she like it hot and between 4,500 - 8,000rpms for cruising and adjustment speeds. Also if you don't already have a Shorai charger for the battery, that is what seemed to fix some of my erroneous errors (getting the battery voltage up).

Try going out for another ride and just try to get used to keeping the revs over 4k- 4.5k. As far as using 5-6 gear, I have seen those gears on mine for a while now anyway. Besides you can get about 140mph out of 4th anyway.

EBRforum Junkie
    That chain has went through its initial stretch and wearing in period with the bike's multiple test riders getting on the throttle. You need you tighten it up to within the spec of 30mm +/- 2mm, tightening it up on the low side 28mm and see how it sounds. There was a post about a guy running his at 25mm and it was fine too. I get a lot of slap with only 100 miles on mine and need to tighten my chain up too.
    Last edited by buell-fan; 08-21-2015 at 04:18 PM.

EBRforum Junkie
    Easy, just knock it down a gear or two..!
    I have about 1 miles worth of 30mph I have to drive on the way to work...first gear works fine. Again, if the chain starts whipping, just drop the trans down a gear or two...simple.
    And keep the chain to it's proper tightness.
    Every now and again, going slowly, and the chain starts whipping, just pull the clutch in, let everything settle down, let it out and continue on your way...

Mike

About two weeks O2 sensor error appears again. Does anyone have the frequent occurrence of this error?
    Bike became badly accelerate and vibrate strongly after 7000 rpm. There are suspicions on the spark plugs.
    It is unlikely that this is due to the O2 sensor. But want to make an example of other users.
    Someone changed O2 sensor?
    EBR 1190 RX

EBRforum Junkie
    Zviadi, a user on badweb has has a bad 02 code recently that made his bike run terribly; this is normal. He changed the front, then the rear sensor threw a code, so he's changing that out now.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Tighten the chain. NOW.
    The engineers told me, “Road test it. Savor the midrange. Then, choose.” -- EBR 1190RX

What does chain? Chain tension is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by buell-fan View Post
    He changed the front, then the rear sensor threw a code, so he's changing that out now.
    From what bike or car approaches O2 sensor? Or OEM only?
    Last edited by zviadi; 08-02-2016 at 12:33 AM.
    EBR 1190 RX