Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EBR, "Muffler Delete" ECM

EBRforum Newb
    Everything Mike said above I agree. Installed mine tonight and this is how I hoped the bike would run when I bought it! Sounds great and far worth the $300 plus the customer service was awesome too. Now if my tips would come in it'll be complete. Only things needed to be perfect in my mind now is the pesky low fuel light and the dang clock resetting back 1 hour every 3 days.

EBRforum Junkie
    Blwngto -

Have you tried using the Shorai battery charger ?
    Both my clock and traction control would reset itself occasionally. After getting their charger and using it once a week, it hasn't reset itself since about the third week, which was about 8 weeks ago.

Another thing I've noticed with this ECM, is that there is hardly no engine braking. I'm gonna alter that some...
    Also, in the midrange rpm's (don't know exactly where yet), it's running a little richer than I'd like. I can feel it in my butt dyno and there's too much soot is in the exhaust. Not "bad", just too much for my liking. Now to find out at what rpms and throttle openings..!

Many of these locations are very difficult to find on a dyno. Since these aren't a "full throttle" problem, but a "partial throttle" situation. May take some messen with the mapping.

Still very happy with the purchase on my second day. And yes, the "splitting lanes" afternoon was more driveable, easier to control the throttle with this ECM.

Much less hunting or jerking of the engine/chain.

Mike

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Blwngto -

Have you tried using the Shorai battery charger ?
    Both my clock and traction control would reset itself occasionally. After getting their charger and using it once a week, it hasn't reset itself since about the third week, which was about 8 weeks ago.

Much less hunting or jerking of the engine/chain.

Mike
    Mike, was your battery going dead on you? Is this an ongoing issue with the 1190's? I saw another one at a dealer that was needing charged from sitting in the dealers.

EBRforum Junkie
    Buell-fan -

Not that I know of.
    I was told by the Shorai guys that for the best "overall" health of the battery, that they should be charged with their type charger every month or so. A "normal" charger and the charging system in the engine, does not "balance" the cells, just a general overall charge. Their charger has several small wires going into the battery rather than one each at the +/- posts
    They said that a balanced charge should make the battery last a lot longer. I haven't noticed any difference in the actual starting power since I started using it. Just a hedge bet because of using the bike for daily use.

BUT...as we all know, laptop computer battery assemblies can die at any time..! And they are of the same basic battery as the current crop of lithium/ion batteries we have available for bikes.

Mike

EBRforum Junkie
    Buell-fan -

P.S. -
    One...I like your "location" comment. "On a curvy road by a drag strip".
    Sounds like a great place to live..!

And two...
    The Shorai guys also said that these batterys have a long shelf life. I also asked that quiestion.

Mike

EBRforum ProvNov
    The benefit to the Shorai charger vs. a straight rate charger is that it will balance the voltage of the cells in the battery, which is very important to battery life.
    The Shorai batteries rest at a higher voltage when 100% charged compared to lead-acid batteries, and most battery maintainers (Battery Tender, etc.) will not achieve this 100% charge state when they are used on the Shorai.

Yes, the Shorai battery has EXCELLENT shelf life...when there is no voltage draw on it. I think I remember something like less than 10% discharge over the course of a year when there is no draw on it.
    Just like any battery that is connected to electronics, there is always a slight draw on the system - on the RX, I believe it's 3 or 4 milliamps. But, given enough time, it will discharge the battery. When this happens, it can be difficult to get the battery to bounce back, hence Shorai's recommendation to use the battery management system charger occasionally.

EBRforum Newb
    Mike,

Yes I use the battery charger its hooked up after every ride, has been since I purchased the bike.

I like the reduced engine braking on the new ecm much better than the factory ecm. The throttle response is much better in the mid range but I agree with the mid range richness, not too bad but its there.

EBRforum Junkie
    Thanks for the response on the charging issue guys. I saw three dead batteries last week and was disappointed, to say the least. The dealer would have had a sale had they been running.

What is up with them having leaky oil fittings and sensor holes from the factory? Anyone have these issues with your new bikes too?

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Buell-fan -

P.S. -
    One...I like your "location" comment. "On a curvy road by a drag strip".
    Sounds like a great place to live..!

Mike
    Thanks Mike. It is a great place to live. I have one of Eric's original masterpieces, an FXR, that I throw around the curves and also drag race for fun.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by buell-fan View Post
    Thanks for the response on the charging issue guys. I saw three dead batteries last week and was disappointed, to say the least. The dealer would have had a sale had they been running.

What is up with them having leaky oil fittings and sensor holes from the factory? Anyone have these issues with your new bikes too?
    Shame on the dealer for not doing proper battery maintenance.
    No doubt they will try to "warranty" these batteries instead learning from their own incompetence.

Which oil fittings are you referring to? The oil cooler?
    If so, it's likely residual from assembly at the factory.

What sensor holes are you talking about?