Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil of choice

EBRforum Newb

Oil of choice

In all of my other bikes I've always used Motul. I know EBR recommends Amsoil but I want to know want everyone else is using and prefers?

I have been using Amsoil in everything for years now, can't deny I was happy to hear my EBR came with it as a recommended fluid when I already use the same grade in my BMW. One less type of oil to keep on hand. I have also used Castrol 4T on my other sport bikes, it is also good stuff. I am pretty much an amsoil guy at this point, I concede regular maintenance is more important than the name on your oil bottle at a certain point(if you are using a reputable full synthetic)
    Last edited by 1190SX; 02-19-2017 at 01:48 PM.

From what I understand not only is it recommended, but it is what is in it from the factory, not any break in oils.

Quote Originally Posted by EBRRider View Post
    From what I understand not only is it recommended, but it is what is in it from the factory, not any break in oils.
    Correct! Don't want to start a controversy as this is usually a controversial subject, but engines do not require a "break-in" in the same way they did in the old days. The old school engines with iron piston rings needed to "seat" by running the engine in a break-in period with conventional oil so they had enough friction to "seat". A lot of old school guys have brought this logic to the current motors which is incorrect. I can't tell you the number of times I have had people tell me you cant run synthetic oil in an engine from break-in or your rings wont seat and the bearings will not roll, but skate because the oil is too slick. Modern rings do not need to "seat" in the same way old iron rings do. Now I am getting into Harley mechanic territory, where nothing has changed in 50 years so, they may very well need conventional oil during break in.

EBRforum Newb
    Amsoil for me, become a preferred member and the price isn't bad at all. Then just load up when they do the free shipping offers.

EBRforum Newb Jerry-Built Hustler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalEBR View Post
    I want to know want everyone else is using and prefers?
    Why?

Experimenting with different oil brands is like searching for the non-existent needle in a haystack, or a dog chasing its own tail.

I use the cheapest available stuff that meets OEM specifications, because brand names and gullible marketing strategies don't matter.

I'm quite deprived, so buying cheap oil in 20L drums once every blue moon allows refilling the fuel tank more often = more average mileage and fun per week. Never had an oil related engine or transmission failure running on cheap conventional mineral.

~Jerry-Built Cheapskate

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdexxx View Post
    Amsoil for me, become a preferred member and the price isn't bad at all. Then just load up when they do the free shipping offers.
    Don't
    even have to do that, just PM me and I'll give you the wholesale pricing without you paying upfront.

EBRforum Junkie
    Good guy(noone1500). I ordered a case & price was right & shipping was quick.

EBRforum Junkie
    I WAS very happy with Valvoline Racing Synthetic...that is until the CA govt. took it away and made it only a online purchase only. Much like Amsoil.
    I want an oil I can...buy, in a store, any time, most any place.
    I guess I'm back to Mobile I.

Mike

EBRforum Junkie
    Eh, can drop ship AMSOIL and its there within 2 days. Never had an "oil emergency" on my bike.