Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Loss of Communication on Display

EBRforum Newb
    So finding this part might not be something I can do.

Hughlysses, I have a warranty still on my EBR that I bought through another company. I don't want to void that one :D

EBRforum Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by AClausing View Post
    So finding this part might not be something I can do.

Hughlysses, I have a warranty still on my EBR that I bought through another company. I don't want to void that one :D
    If he can't get a replacement part, maybe you can convince the dealer to try the fix. Several people have repaired "bad" ECM's in the same way. Of course, hopefully a week from now we'll get great news that EBR is back in business, all factory warranties will be honored, and you'll have a new display a few days later.

EBRforum Newb
    What fix? Like take it to a 3M shop?

EBRforum ProvNov
    What fix are you referring to.
    If it's an internal problem with the cluster, such as a bad connection on the PC board, it's gonna take some surgery to fix it.

EBRforum ProvNov
    anyone figure diagnose this at home? Even if its some soldering inside the Cluster? I'm getting the Communication errors everyride now.

EBRforum Junkie
    Q, aren't you running a new race ecm now? You sould switch it back to the OEM unit and see if it throws the same communications error code. If it does throw the code still then the problem is in the communications screen or possibly the wiring harness where it bends in the front. If it doesn't throw the code then the issue is in the new ecm you have and the problem is solved.

EBRforum Novice
    One of the causes has been reported to be bad grounds. I have the issue on my bike, as well as a faulty speed sensor, and I've checked the obvious ground connections -- at the chassis and the steering head -- with no luck.

EBRforum ProvNov
    rock and roll. Thanks Buell-Fan. I'll give that a swap when I get home in the morning. gooooood thinking brother.

EBRforum ProvNov
    I have figured out the problem for my loss of communication on the display. It started out as being intermittent and turned into never displaying info. The fault also prevented me from being able to change TC. While troubleshooting I found if I pushed the connector very hard into the socket it would work, as soon as pressure was relieved it stopped. I investigated more thinking that the pin engagement was inadequate, but that was not it. I removed the back of the case and plugged in the connector with nothing to stop it from engaging. Same situation. Seems like the issue is in the male socket mounted to the board. I dont exactly know what to do about it. I could make a fixture that always applies pressure to the plug, but that seems a little crude......

EBRforum ProvNov
    Perhaps a dab of superglue applied sparingly at the edge of the socket might hold it.