Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Loss of Communication on Display

EBRforum Newb
    Do you have access to the wiring schematics for the main harness going to the cluster? In most cases a communication loss is a loss of data passing over the data "back bone". I deal with comms loss issues almost weekly at work and it is 99% always in the data back bone. I would start looking at all the connectors on the harness as well as the harness itself for any chafing, rubbing, extra tight beds t stretching from the ecm to the cluster. Not sure if these bikes have any terminating resistors in the harness or not, if they do then this can also cause comms loss issues.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Generally the problems with the clusters were found to be internal problems in the cluster on these bikes.
    Typically the tell-tale sign was similar to the picture posted earlier - "communication error" with an "X" displayed as well as at times a loss of speedometer or tachometer function accompanying it.

The only tight bend in the harness in relation to the cluster wiring is at the cluster itself.
    There are two locations for terminating resistors - 1 of which is in the tail and only 1 is required.

Check with multimetrer auxiliary fuses (visual inspection is not enough). Same situation with the dashboard I had to DD1200.
    EBR 1190 RX

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by snacktoast View Post
    Generally the problems with the clusters were found to be internal problems in the cluster on these bikes.
    Typically the tell-tale sign was similar to the picture posted earlier - "communication error" with an "X" displayed as well as at times a loss of speedometer or tachometer function accompanying it.

The only tight bend in the harness in relation to the cluster wiring is at the cluster itself.
    There are two locations for terminating resistors - 1 of which is in the tail and only 1 is required.
    Good info to know thanks. Strange about the clusters going bad, my company uses the same manufacturer for some of our screens and they hardly ever crap out.

EBRforum Newb
    Anyone got a part number through Parts Unlimited for this display?

EBRforum Junkie
    Y0500.1B7 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, MPH/KMH 1

This is all I've got in the parts diagram, it's not even listed in my cost list

EBRforum Newb
    Yeah, thats the same thing I came up with.. Now to get a hold of a Parts Unlimited retailer and see if this works for a part number.

EBRforum Newb
    Noone,

This part number did not bring anything up from Parts Unlimited. We also tried Y0500.1B6 and Y05001B9 (both numbers we found in different PDFs')

Any other thoughts?

EBRforum ProvNov
    This was a part that came direct from EBR when it was ordered.
    Same with a stock ECM.

EBRforum Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by AClausing View Post
    I am trying to find a new display unit. It looks like the issue is from there. Moving the wires does not resolve the issue but if I hold the display the right way it clears the fault and shows data.
    That sounds like something simple like a bad solder joint inside the display. That would probably be easy to fix if you're proficient with a soldering iron and can get the display case apart without breaking it. Just re-flow all the suspect joints; the bad joint might even be obvious.