Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a couple questions on the front rotor and clutch pull issues

EBRforum Junkie
    Does anyone know whether the EBR rotors are the same bolt pattern and size as the Buell 1125CR?

EBRforum ProvNov
    Bolt pattern - yes, so the rotor is interchangeable from the 1190 to 1125.
    However, the mounting hardware is different on the 1190 compared to the 1125.

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by snacktoast View Post
    Bolt pattern - yes, so the rotor is interchangeable from the 1190 to 1125.
    However, the mounting hardware is different on the 1190 compared to the 1125.
    Thanks. They looked similar.

EBRforum Junkie
    On the rotor...actually, after a few miles, you "can" see the problem.
    It's variously sized shiny spots. It's from overheating the metal. The bright spots are "now" harder than the surrounding metal. I wouldn't be happening if the caliper pistons would retract a little more.
    I've never had a bike except my 1125CR (actually wasn't as bad!), where the disc was way too hot after my drive to work at 4:30 in the morning. My R1 Yamaha, my S1000RR BMW and all other past bikes, you could grab the front rotor after my 41 mile drive. NOT this bike. The RX's rotor is MUCH hotter than most all of my other bike after the same distance.

I even over heated a set of rotors (long story) years ago to the point of VERY bad fade. NO heat "checks".
    My RX's rotor...is full of them after only 55+ hundred miles. The only good (odd!) thing, is I can't feel them yet in the brake handle..!?

This not a guess or myth. I need to know a bit of metallurgy for work.

Hoping they don't get to the point of feeling them in the handle.

Mike

EBRforum Junkie
    Thanks Mike. I did figure you could see the well used bad rotors, as there are several pictures on line of bikes with shiny spots on them. I was hoping to learn how to spot a new rotor with the bad grind pattern or whstever was done wrong by the manufacturer.

As for the rotors getting hot, I suspect that the problem is because of brake pad drag. Most calipers have a stationary side where that pad just "rides" somewhat loosely on the rotor. If one side of the EBR caliper is constantly rubbing tightly to the rotor then they are building excess heat that is effecting their performance.

A simple experiment would be to run the bike for a lengthy ride using mostly, if not all back brakes, to make your stops. Then feel the rotor to see if they are hot. If the caliper is rubbing too hard on the rotor it will definately be hot, just as if you had been using them all along the ride. One would think that with all that swept area of the Buell rotor they should naturally be a bit cooler than a hub mounted rotor based on physics.

EBRforum Novice
    Not thinking to hard here, couple of beers, but not only have we 4 pads working on one rotor (even though the circumference is bigger) , but the rotor is also travelling faster for the same wheel speed . Its going to get hotter. Imagine how hot my track bike rotor gets , its blue !
    Wonder if anyone makes a carbon rotor? Would be cool . Group purchase order ?