Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a couple questions on the front rotor and clutch pull issues

EBRforum Junkie

a couple questions on the front rotor and clutch pull issues

So I am looking at a couple different RX's with similar build dates but different vin#'s and need to know how to tell if the East Troy factory put on the new rotors that corrected the manufacturing defect in the surface grind or if the original lots are on there that had the bad surface, causing the braking issues. Please describe to difference in the two or, if there is pictures someone can post of what the bad rotor looks like to compare to the new version that would be great.

Also, the factory updated the clutch master cylinder to make the clutch pull easier from what I understand. Does anyone know what they did to it exactly, to make it better? Is there a way to tell if the bikes I am looking at have that upgrade also?

I don't know how many units had the bad rotors, I had one and you could tell almost immediately because of the vibration felt under braking. The clutch update was done late and not necessarily the best option, clutch pull is not that bad under operation, some have reported that under hard acceleration the updated clutch would slip some, I have left mine alone, if I do anything it will be to install a Brembo rcs master cylinder or Accossato unit. So far I have had no problem living with the stock clutch.
    Last edited by mackja; 07-20-2015 at 03:14 PM.

EBRforum Junkie
    After further investigation on the clutch fix, I wouldn't put weaker springs in it either. I would rework the master cylinder to push more fluid easier.

As far as the brake rotors go, were they warpy looking with high and low spots around them or anything like that? From the limited pictures I could find it looks like some bikes have rotors with intermitent dark and light spots on them where the pads would leave residue on there. I would like to get a good set with the bike since we don't know how the warranty will pan out after the auction sale coming up.

The issue was with the supplier and how they finished the rotor, two different grindings on the surface resulted in a pulsating, nothing to do with heat.
    Last edited by mackja; 07-20-2015 at 03:10 PM.

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mackja View Post
    The issue was with the supplier and how they finished the rotor, two different grindings on the surface resulted in a pulsating, nothing to do with heat.
    Could you post a pic of one or the other, good or bad, so I know what to look for. Thanks.

Visually you cannot see any difference, you have to ride one to find out.

EBRforum Junkie
    Visually you cannot see any difference, you have to ride one to find out.
    Is that something that shows up immediately, or after the brakes bed into the rotors?

I really don't recall when the pulsating started, wish I could be of more help, maybe a few others on the forum can provide further information.

EBRforum Junkie
    I really don't recall when the pulsating started, wish I could be of more help, maybe a few others on the forum can provide further information.
    Thanks for the input. It sounds as though the rotors hit and miss on the pulsing issue with the first production bikes. I will take my chances on them.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by buell-fan View Post
    Is that something that shows up immediately, or after the brakes bed into the rotors?
    If the rotor has issues related to the grinding finish from the rotor manufacturer, you will typically feel it right away.
    Cosmetic appearance does not dictate or necessitate replacement. It's a feel thing.