Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: EBR Sale Scheduled

This waiting game to find out really sucks...

EBRforum ProvNov
    I think it will be a heck of an uphill battle if EBR makes a return. They already had the odds stacked against them, but I think this really, really, really has hurt the brand.
    Not to mention the engineering staff that has mostly found employment elsewhere - Harley-Davidson, Polaris/Indian, Lockheed Martin, etc. etc. etc.
    Even if it is restarted, I fear that it wouldn't be the same EBR. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I'd love to be proven incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by snacktoast View Post
    I think it will be a heck of an uphill battle if EBR makes a return. They already had the odds stacked against them, but I think this really, really, really has hurt the brand.
    Not to mention the engineering staff that has mostly found employment elsewhere - Harley-Davidson, Polaris/Indian, Lockheed Martin, etc. etc. etc.
    Even if it is restarted, I fear that it wouldn't be the same EBR. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I'd love to be proven incorrect.
    I think it will take some work, but I don't think there will be any permanent or long-term damage as long as the new owner has the cash and will to do the right things.

Think of it this way. How many people knew who EBR was 4 months ago? From my experience, VERY few. So if nobody knew them, very few people know anything about what has been happening over the past 6 years, so those events won't have a large negative (or positive) effect on the market.

It will be up to the new owner to reintroduce the brand, and if they're willing to invest the time and money to do that right, all the things we know about will quickly disappear in the rear-view mirror.

Scott, you make some very valid points.. I'd just like to add... A lot more people have heard about EBR now... They've been in the news... More people are buying the bikes... More people will see them on the streets... This is opening peoples eyes to the brand and bikes... and I think you are 100% correct.. it really depends on where the new owners take the brand...

EBRforum Junkie
    So if this reliable source news is correct, EBR is now a 100% Hero owned Indian company, not a US company any more.

EBRforum ProvNov
    From a VERY reliable source close to the situation, the story is pure BS.
    For what it's worth, I implicitly trust this source.

EBRforum Junkie
    That is the best news I've read on the Internet tonight!

From what we've seen off the company who shall not be mentioned, it is not beyond them to put out disinformation in attempts to discourage other buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Classax View Post
    From what we've seen off the company who shall not be mentioned, it is not beyond them to put out disinformation in attempts to discourage other buyers.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. The 'source' may very well have been someone from Hero telegraphing their intentions (as opposed to announcing a truly done deal).

I strongly suspect this is the headline Hero hopes to read in the coming weeks and whether or not it comes to be very likely hangs on who else is interested, how interested they are and how much cash they have to offer.

Note: The following is completely crazy and completely baseless and it will never happen, so you you don't need to tell me that. I already know. But I had some thoughts going through my head last night and I couldn't get them out, so I thought I'd type them out here.

Larry Pegram, until recently, was featured on a Velocity Channel show called Superbike Family. The Velocity Channel, since it's inception, has featured motorcycle themed programming including coverage of the Isle of Man TT.

The Velocity Channel is owned by the Discovery Channel. One of the Discovery Channels biggest stars is Jamie Hyneman of Mythbusters who owns an 1125R, knows Erik Buell and featured his bike on the show at least once (I think maybe more than that).

One of the Discovery Channel's biggest shows was American Chopper. Another big show for them is Gold Rush (a show that features people pursuing their dream to try to be successful gold-miners).

What if some people like Jamie Hyneman, Erik Buell, Larry Pegram, maybe someone like Jay Leno, Splitlath Racing, maybe some private investors etc. etc. etc. pooled their resources and bought EBR. And what if they did so in cooperation with the Discovery Channel who would get broadcasting and merchandising rights (I have to imagine Orange County Choppers T-Shirts made quite a bit of money at the height of the show). The Discovery Channel would sign on for a three-year term and offer to lend operating capital, if needed, over that time to ensure the company will be in business over that three year period. The Discovery Channel could then get several shows out of the deal - one that follows the efforts of EBR to get back up and running and successful, one that follows Larry Pegram as he puts a team together to go racing and maybe one that follows Splitlath Racing (and that one could be on Velocity).

I have a feeling those could be reality shows to end all reality shows. They wouldn't have to throw in a lot of fake drama because there would be real drama related to just doing the impossible task of getting a motorcycle company off the ground (starting with the auction), going racing, etc. I know I'd be glued to my TV every week.

Marketing would no longer be a concern. The shows would provide more marketing than any ad buys could ever provide.

I think that could be really, really cool.

Too bad it's completely crazy and won't happen.