Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buell/EBR/Ronin at Pike's Peak

After reading this article - hearing all the drama he had during the run (running off course, wheely-ing, limp-mode, etc..) gives me confidence I could seriously compete on an 1190RX. I've watched the on-board video from Toye's winning run last year and it really made my blood boil to give it a go.

Here's the words from Newbold's run this year:d to much exiting a hard corner. Ass end gone. I was tossed out of the seat holding on to the bars and twisting that ****ing thing for dear life, somehow
    All week the bike launching from starts was the talk of the pits. Every time it launched it spun, crouched and wheelied as I feathered the clutch. This time it nearly **** the bed. Starting on a cold engine was not a good idea. after a mile of throttle massaging it finally started to rev. Then she revved to hard an my lower body founds its position. Whew! The back was total grease on the gas. Nothing I did to accelerate could keep it from stepping out. In one long horse shoe corner I felt it start to go, without thinking I stood it up and rode it into the drainage ditch. I kept it pinned and rode out never missing a beat. Up through the double u switch backs sliding every corner. Near the Devil's Playground as I approached my cheering fan section the bike went into limp mode. Over heated and probably as angry at me as I was at it the thing went retard and limped all the way past the downhill of Bottomless Pit. It finally cooled down and regained full power. I lofted the front wheel in every shift and made my way to Carl's Corner. It took everything I had to not completely
    let off the gas. Two corners left. Everything I had was given. I crossed the line. The last dirt on the mountain is in the summit parking lot. I pitched that thing sideways to celebrate but this beast has no steering. I hit the locks and dumped it over the highside.
    #811 CMRA
    2014 EBR 1190RX #302

EBRforum Expert
    It sure sounds like a stock RX (or at least an RX with race pipe and ECM) would have done significantly better. The Ronin must have had cooling issues at full power because they deliberately started with a cold engine and the thing still got hot and lost power until it cooled off during the run.

If you could start with a properly warmed up engine and then NOT have it overheat half-way up the mountain, you could have probably eaten the Honda that won for lunch. And that's not counting the superior handling of a BPF with ZTL brake and ultra light weight front wheel.

Hey- if you need crowdfunding for next year, I'll kick in $20.

I'll be making my decision on July 23rd when EBR is sold. If I can get availability of race parts and spares, I am in 100%. I will need a race ECM and spare brake/chassis components. Everything else I am fabricating myself. Weird thing is I'm actually going to be in Colorado on the 22nd when all the drama happens, just having a nice vacation, but maybe also making a few runs up the mountain too!
    #811 CMRA
    2014 EBR 1190RX #302

EBRforum Expert
    Video from the Ronin run:

Some ridiculous drop after the finish...
    The lowest point of the bike - gear lever.
    EBR 1190 RX

EBRforum Expert
    ^ Yes, crazy. I found it odd that it did not have a race pattern shifter.

I'll kick in some money if the thing gets setup..

Here's the new Victory concept:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2015/...n-new-concept/

Name:  VictoryTop-730x486.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  46.6 KB

Looks sort of cool for a "power cruiser", but it also makes it clear that Victory isn't serious (at least at this moment) about making a true sport-bike. Looks like EBR remains the only American sport-bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ducati_Diavel_Carbon_2011.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	287.0 KB 
ID:	693

Looks like the Victory answer to the Diavel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ducati-diavel-4.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	298.4 KB 
ID:	691  

Quote Originally Posted by Plotter View Post

Looks like the Victory answer to the Diavel
    That's what I thought. I've never been much of a fan of the Diavel - I like Ducatis for what they do well - light, great-handling bikes - and I never understood why they wanted to make something more like a Harley.

I do like the 156 more than most Harleys and Victories. And I even think it's a little cleaner than the Diavel, but I was hoping the 156 would have been more compact and more like the XR1200 or old-school Buells.

I've been waiting my whole life for a serious American sportbike. EBR finally got there, then poof. Here's hoping Bruce . . . or somebody . . . brings back our American sportbike soon.
    Last edited by Scott; 11-18-2015 at 05:10 PM.