Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buell/EBR/Ronin at Pike's Peak

But it's interesting from the point of view: "Could Victory be interested in bidding on EBR in December?" With the rumors of the 156, I had thought "No, they're making their own sportbike."

But now that we've seen the concept bike, it's clear there's still room in the victory line-up for EBR.

I was just reading some of the comments around the internet on the 156 and they're not good. It's clear people were hoping for something more like an EBR.

EBRforum Expert
    Victory is supposed to unveil another concept bike called the "Combustion" next month in New York. The website page on these bikes has a heading "Project 156 > Ignition > Combustion" as if the 3 bikes are a progression towards a production model. The press info on the "Ignition" (the picture shown above) says this is the first bike to use the production engine based on Project 156. It'll be very interesting to see if the "Combustion" is significantly different from the "Ignition" and how much closer to something fit for production it is.

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I was just reading some of the comments around the internet on the 156 and they're not good. It's clear people were hoping for something more like an EBR.
    Imagine this: people want to ride a motorcycle, not saddle up as if in for a gynecological exam.

EBRforum Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Doosh View Post
    Imagine this: people want to ride a motorcycle, not saddle up as if in for a gynecological exam.

EBRforum Expert
    I had heard this a while back- Polaris Industries hired several former EBR employees. I just checked out Polaris at LinkedIn and noticed a couple of key senior people from EBR are now employed there. That could mean (a) Polaris has already got everything they'd want from EBR or (b) these former EBR guys are telling Polaris "you REALLY need to put a bid in on EBR next month".

Quote Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
    Victory is supposed to unveil another concept bike called the "Combustion" next month in New York. The website page on these bikes has a heading "Project 156 > Ignition > Combustion" as if the 3 bikes are a progression towards a production model. The press info on the "Ignition" (the picture shown above) says this is the first bike to use the production engine based on Project 156. It'll be very interesting to see if the "Combustion" is significantly different from the "Ignition" and how much closer to something fit for production it is.

It will be interesting to see what the Combustion is. My guess based on the names and schedule is that the 156 was the 'prototype', the ignition is the 'concept' and the Combustion is the actual production bike. And if it is a different bike, I'd expect it to be different from the Ignition in the way an Indian Chief Classic is different from an Indian Chief Vintage. The Ignition seems like a very professionally rendered bike and I think it is very close to the final version. If I were a betting man, I'd bet the Combustion will be an Ignition with turn-signals, license-plate holder etc.

I think we're seeing the future of Victory motorcycles and that future is evolutionary rather than revolutionary (and still keeps them firmly planted in the 'cruiser' market). It's a cool cruiser. Perhaps one of the coolest cruisers I've ever seen, but still a cruiser and still something that a large portion of motorcyclists would never consider.

It seems clear to me that the public was hoping for something more revolutionary . . . and something much more like EBR. If, up until yesterday, Polaris had zero interest in bidding on EBR, I would sort of think, after seeing the general disappointment (as opposed to presumably expected excitement), the public gave them in response to their big, new thing (in which they likely invested a lot of time and money) should make them start thinking about buying that company that can make the bike everybody wants them to make.

Polaris currently has a big, gaping hole in their line-up and EBR fits that hole perfectly (not just with the products they currently offer, but the products that were indicated to be in development).

I have no idea if they're really thinking about it, but I think they absolutely should be thinking about it.
    Last edited by Scott; 11-19-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doosh View Post

EBRforum ProvNov
    That Victory looks like a parts bike. The headlight is from a Yamaha MT03, the frame is total Scout, the gas tank looks like it came off of an old Yamaha Virago 920. They slapped a different seat and forks on it and called it good. Total lack of inspiration. What class is this bike in?

This was supposed to be a standard with a hot rod motor. Front controls? Who wants those on a hot rod. Even the Harley XR1200 had the foot pegs in the correct position. Complete Garbage!

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...ame-of-safety/

Looks like someone would need to field an SX this year if they want to compete. PPIHC just reinstated the ban on bikes with clip-ons, effectively eliminating sport bikes from contention.
    #811 CMRA
    2014 EBR 1190RX #302