Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 119RX keeps blowing front valve/cam cover

EBRforum ProvNov
    It's the strainer from the bottom of the oil pump.

perhaps its a shipping coating that was forgotten or not removed? Could it be like a liquid gasket material?

just thoughts

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickit View Post
    perhaps its a shipping coating that was forgotten or not removed? Could it be like a liquid gasket material?

just thoughts
    Yeah I'm not sure myself. It does look or feel like a coating, paint chips, plastic shavings or something of the sort. Erik was going to pass it on to one of his powertrain guys to see if they could identify it. Maybe part of the guide that the chain is cutting and it could be completely normal. But their seems to be a lot of it or more than I would like to see.

EBRforum Novice
    Think it's shavings from the cam chain tensioner? Glad you may have figured it out.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    Think it's shavings from the cam chain tensioner? Glad you may have figured it out.
    I hope thats all it is. I just wonder if that would cause a clog on the right side, which in turn would cause oil to back up on the right side? I'm going to clean it all up, put it back together, cross my fingers and hope for the best.

EBRforum ProvNov
    This was good info that Alex over on badweb posted so I figured I would cross post it over here.

"I will try to give You a complete overview of the oil circuit (1125/1190RR):
    first of all we have a two stage oil pump consisting of a smaller and a wider pump section which operate independent of each other (no oil connection between the stages). Additionally the oil strainer we are talking about is a two stage strainer as well - consisting of a tubular and a flat section without connection between them.

First let´s look at the "pressure" side: Oil is sucked into the smaller oil pump segment from the engine´s "sump". The oil makes its way through a passage in the right engine case towards the flat oil strainer. There it passes the flat strainer and finally arrives at the suction side of the smaller oil pump segment. Within the pump segment the oil is "pressurized" and fed to the oil filter. After the oil filter the oil is distributed to all lubricating spots. It never passes the oil cooler on this route.

The oil return after lubrication is clearly divided into two seperated routes:
    1. Oil from the left engine side (that is generator compartment and rear head valve train compartment)collects at the bottom of the generator compartment by simply draining back there by gravity. From there there is a plastic funnel guiding the oil back into the "sump". Take note that there is no pump involved to scavenge the oil back into the sump.
    2. Oil from the right engine side (that is crank case compartment, transmission compartment, clutch compartment and front head valve train compartment): oil from the crankshaft compartment is scraped off the crankshaft and thrown into the transmission compartment from where it is guided to the tubular strainer. Oil from the transmission compartment itself takes the same way. Oil from the clutch compartment and front head valve train compartment collects at the tubular strainer, too. All this is beeing done by gravity (just like on the left engine side). Different from the left engine side the oil is now picked up by the wider second stage oil pump section (thereby passing the tubular strainer) and pumped through the oil cooler. After the cooler the oil is dumped back into the engine sump.

Based on this information one can see that:
    - the engine lubricating oil is not fed through the oil cooler before getting to the lubrication points
    - the cooling system only uses scavenge oil from the right engine side
    - the grey particles found by Red93stang can not be from the generator (unless having been found in the flat strainer)
    - the right engine side has no direct connection to the atmosphere. Blow by from the piston rings is "pumped" out of the right engine side by the wider oil pump segment together with the ride side scavenge oil (through the oil cooler) to the left engine side which is vented to atmosphere
    - the gray particles found on the tubular strainer can only origin from the right side of the engine unless there is a major defect in the engine case"

EBRforum Novice
    Glad someone finally laid out how the system operates. Any further ideas of what that material is that was causing all the trouble?

Good luck today with the first run since you put it all back together. Let us know how it goes...

EBRforum ProvNov
    Well same results all back together.

I just have to make a choice of whether to pull it apart myself or hope EBR gets back online and take it back to the dealer and let them take care of it. I just hate to have someone else work on this bike that has no experience with this engine. I guess I will have to wait anyway cause I won't be able to get back on it for a couple of weeks. Decisions decisions!

Red93stang... sorry to hear bro... Hopefully there will be more resources soon to help you out...