Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71

Thread: EBR 1190 Adventure Tourer AX

  1. #61
    EBRforum Newb
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    20
    While this is blatant advertising that's thoroughly scripted; there's plenty here too that's real impromptu, fun ADV riding of the dirt flavor -- where the heavily street biased bikes aren't much fun, and in some cases can't even take you.



    A bike that's may to not even run after a dump in the dirt and/or is so heavy a solo rider can't even get it back upright without help, isn't going to cut it for any real adventure where you're going to depend on the machine.

    There's also a safe kind of legal fun you can have off-road going fast on a truly dirt capable machine you can't have on pavement, as screw-ups here are almost never lethal, rarely hospitalizing, and you're no risk to anyone but yourself.

  2. #62
    EBRforum Newb
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    new mexico
    Posts
    6
    Hoak..

    What's with you man ?

    EBR must be aiming to take on the 1200gs and the 1190 adventure, and so the specs of those bikes are what I used to set the bar in my predictions...

    Take jabs at my post but then go on about how great the bike used for reference specs is... -_-

    but as others have stated, it appears what you want and what an "Adventure" bike is as defined by the industry are two different things.. but more importantly, I say EBR is aiming at the Bmw & KTM because it'd be cheaper to modify the platform they've already designed in the RX/SX rather than designing a new bike from scratch..

    also, notice that Erik is using the term "Adventure" rather than creating a whole new class of motorcycle for the AX as he did for the SX.. and so he himself categorizes the AX with the industry's standard BMW/KTM.

    Maybe thats not 70%off road as I admittedly previously incorrectly stated *realistically thats dual sport/motard/freeride realm*, but I do predict the AX will be significantly more offroad worthy and competitive than the XB12X.. and I even think the AX may compete in lightest weight with the 800cc 460+ lbs adv bikes, as the SX is only 414lbs wet.

    Also, how unbelievable is it that the 1190 engine may be detuned from the 185 hp down to 150-165hp to increase fuel mileage and increase engine reliability? It seems plausible to me..

    Honestly, I'd expect an EBR full blown dirt bike before we get your 2 wheeled mountain goat.. in the mean time, why don't ya get ya a new Husky 350/501 S ? or better yet get a FE350/FE501 and street legal it.. as I've done with my smoker 2014 TE250 :D
    Last edited by Raceya; 09-05-2014 at 12:32 AM.

  3. #63
    EBRforum Newb
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceya View Post
    Hoak... What's with you man ?
    What do you mean? Are you completely intolerant of being subjected to facts and people disagreeing with and/or having different preferences then you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raceya View Post
    EBR must be aiming to take on the 1200gs and the 1190 adventure, and so the specs of those bikes are what I used to set the bar in my predictions...
    Must? Why 'must' they? This isn't the best selling or as was originally thought the most lucrative segment of the market -- not by a long shot...

    Quote Originally Posted by Raceya View Post
    Take jabs at my post but then go on about how great the bike used for reference specs is... -_-
    Taking exception to your preferences that aren't even congruent with facts and reality, is not taking 'jabs' at you, I like everyone else in the thread am stating my hopes preferences. As far as 'greatness' and 'specs' I don't know what you mean... You also seem to have missed the point that I've agreed with you more then disagreed -- perhaps out of some need to be offended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raceya View Post
    but as others have stated, it appears what you want and what an "Adventure" bike is as defined by the industry are two different things..
    No, not 'others' one other, and I've stated very clearly very early in the thread exactly what I would like, which is also much more congruent with what's selling better and is actually defining the 'ADV' market then what you'd appear to want...

    Quote Originally Posted by Raceya View Post
    but more importantly, I say EBR is aiming at the Bmw & KTM because it'd be cheaper to modify the platform they've already designed in the RX/SX rather than designing a new bike from scratch..
    Perhaps yes, KTM does this too, and comes up with some radically different bikes only loosely based on the same engines...

    Quote Originally Posted by Raceya View Post
    also, notice that Erik is using the term "Adventure" rather than creating a whole new class of motorcycle for the AX as he did for the SX.. and so he himself categorizes the AX with the industry's standard BMW/KTM.
    That assignation is used by more then BMW and KTM, but even if we all yield to your argument; BMW's best selling, in fact the best selling 'Adventure' bike in the world is the F800GS and not by a small margin. Similarly Triumph's middle weight ADV machine (shown in the video above), is much more 'definitive' as far what the ADV class is, then what you're pretending I'm saying. Even if we use your example of KTM's liter plus bike; it's vastly more dirt worthy then the XB12X can ever be, and the KTM 1190 R comes much closer to what I want then what you want.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raceya View Post
    I even think the AX may compete in lightest weight with the 800cc 460+ lbs adv bikes, as the SX is only 414lbs wet.
    It might, but that seems very unlikely as a performance oriented road bike's frame is always cut down for minimum weight, and maximum stiffness -- not strength... The stresses on a real ADV machine, ridden even casually off road, no less at fun speeds are orders of magnitude higher then what a street racer will ever encounter and can withstand. Add the additional strength needed to actuarially haul a payload, and to manage the stress the power of 100+ hp -- and a heavier bike is a forgone conclusion...

    Quote Originally Posted by Raceya View Post
    Also, how unbelievable is it that the 1190 engine may be detuned from the 185 hp down to 150-165hp to increase fuel mileage and increase engine reliability? It seems plausible to me..
    It's absolutely plausible, the Buell ET-V2 engine already gets impressive fuel economy so it's not at all unreasonable that they make take the basic engine design to something much more ADV worthy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raceya View Post
    Honestly, I'd expect an EBR full blown dirt bike before we get your 2 wheeled mountain goat..
    Honestly? So you weren't being honest to this point? What goat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raceya View Post
    in the mean time, why don't ya get ya a new Husky 350/501 S ? or better yet get a FE350/FE501 and street legal it.. as I've done with my smoker 2014 TE250 :D
    Because, as you'd 'honestly' know if you actually made an 'honest' effort to read what I wrote, is not what I want in a motorcycle.

    Thank you for your effort, patience, consideration, and politeness...
    Last edited by Hoak; 09-05-2014 at 09:41 PM.

  4. #64

  5. #65
    EBRforum Newb
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    20
    Ha, the ADV Vloger & Bloger posts again! From the feed-back my posts have received in various ADV venues I enjoy (and the strange reception here) it seems most have little or no hope Buell will make a serious ADV machine; though I still believe EBR is in a unique position to do exactly that. However the counter argument of the pavement focused pedigree, lack of any solid information since the intention an AX 'Adventure' machine was announced, and the ridiculous focus everywhere in native advertising and marketing on bloated road whales pretending to be ADV machine doesn't bode well...

    That said, I remain hopeful; Erik Buell is one of the brightest lights on the motorcycle design Christmas tree, and employs some of the best and brightest as well. Whether they have exposed themselves to, understand, and will actually acknowledge the real market that exists for a serious ADV machine, or go for a narrow focus road toad with lip service to 'Adventure' complete with upstairs swimming pool, sauna, wet bar and tanning deck remains to be seen (if it's ever to be seen at all).

    But the design and marketing coup a real 'world crosser' capable machine, where the limiting factor to 'Adventure™' would have more to do with the rider than bike would be enormous. As well, the audience for such a bike is much larger and broader then just 'serious' ADV riders; unlike the limited capability a sport touring and heavy cruiser massaged into 'ADV' lipstick and farkels, a serious ADV machine offers far more capable performance on pavement then the prodigal 'Speed Princess' machines can muster on a groomed dirt drag strip in fair weather; a real ADV machine will last longer, and can take a lot more abuse than machines like KTM's new space shuttle on two wheels.

    Whatever EBR does or doesn't do, most serious ADV Riders will go ahead and build our own bikes regardless of the dreck churned out by the manufactures -- the size and scope of this market will eventually get noticed (again), and some motorcycle company will turn the full force of its engineering talent in this direction (again) and create a bike that will set a new standard, outsell literally everything, and not just in its class; this has happened before... I hope some here (besides me -- maybe from EBR) actually make the effort to click on and read what's offered at those links above; no one is grinding any axes or proselytizing there; just confronting real design limitations and challenges honestly and enthusiastically...
    Last edited by Hoak; 09-22-2014 at 07:51 AM.

  6. #66
    EBRforum Newb
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    20
    Well the new Honda Africa Twin has made an appearance at EICMA...



    The 'leaked' specifications look promising -- or interesting depending on your perspective:

    440 Lbs. Wet
    5.3 Gallon Fuel Capacity
    1000cc Parallel Twin
    100 HP
    10" Suspension Travel
    21” Front Wheel
    17” Rear Wheel
    ABS Brakes
    Traction Control
    Dual Clutch Transmission

    Depending on how it's priced it looks like one more to crowd the already crowded 'heavy liter bike' ADV market segment...
    Last edited by Hoak; 11-07-2014 at 08:35 PM.

  7. #67
    EBRforum Junkie zviadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    St.Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    460
    Any news or any insider information about the beginning of the production of AX?
    In my wishlist instead RX.
    EBR 1190 RX

  8. #68
    EBRforum Expert
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Salters, SC
    Posts
    898
    Apparently several people asked this question at Homecoming at the factory earlier this month. No one got a straight answer to the question, but based on facial expressions of several people that should know and other hints that were given, it seems a more touring-friendly version of the SX is under development.

    How different it may be from the current 1190SX is anyone's guess. EBR had an SX on display at the factory with factory soft bags, hand guards, and a small windshield (see below). As seen in the 650ib video, Erik's own SX has taller handlebars, lower footpegs, and he mentioned it could use lower gearing. Perhaps Erik himself is doing the development work on his own bike?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	781576.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	1012

  9. #69
    EBRforum Junkie zviadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    St.Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    460
    I'm more interested а large ground clearance than the travel kit.
    Ideally I would gipermotard like Aprilia DD1200, but more powerful and easier.
    EBR 1190 RX

  10. #70
    EBRforum Newb
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Holly Springs, NC
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by zviadi View Post
    I'm more interested а large ground clearance than the travel kit.
    Ideally I would gipermotard like Aprilia DD1200, but more powerful and easier.
    Bringing this back from the past...

    I personally am excited to see what EBR has to show at the IMS show coming up in November.

    I like your idea, however I would be just as happy if they make the SX set up more like the KTM SD GT.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •