Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EBR 1190 Adventure Tourer AX

EBRforum Newb
    - you know, when the road only, slightly lowered Uly came out, me and the wife really wanted one. We're ready to get one and then poof, Buell was gone.
    i could reach the ground and was really feeling good about a Uly....
    i hope,this version returns. I really want a bike to ride to work - comfortably. Touching the ground would be a plus.
    i have not seen an SX or RX in California yet. There is a mysterious demo fleet around but I can't find out where....
    the dealers are scarce.
    where is the demo fleet???

EBRforum Newb
    Big Uly fan here – I own the XB12X and XB12XT and unquestionably prefer the latter for its more confidence-inspiring front end handling. Personally I really hope the AX is some kind of mashup between the XT and the Multistrada, ie. a street biased sport tourer. There's definitely still room in this segment. Good luck Erik!

Quote Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
    Several people asked the SC EBR dealer about the status of the AX at our Buell meet in Little Switzerland, NC last month. The dealer rep said that they understood the AX release was going to be delayed a bit from what was initially planned. I believe he estimated a late 2014/early 2015 release. According to him, EBR is currently directing their efforts at getting Hero bikes into the U.S.

Can anyone from AF1 confirm or deny this?
    The Aim Expo is only 2 months away:

http://www.aimexpousa.com/

I would hope that, at the very least even if they're not ready to start selling, we can get an 1190AX 'show bike' at Aim.

Honestly, I'd be more interested in the Hastur:

Name:  Hero-Hastur-600cc-superbike-concept.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  41.3 KB

Than the AX, but I don't know if the first Hero bikes will include the Hastur - though the sooner they start selling bikes here, the sooner we could get a Hastur.

Ideally, I'd like to see an EBR version of the Hastur - higher performance, maybe even fuel-in-frame and rim-mounted brake . . . (and here's where I'm really going a little crazy) 750 cc to compete in WSBK Supersport and AMA Sportbike.

If they could show us an EBR version of the Hastur and an AX and give us an idea when they'll be available, that would be way-cool. But I think it's very unlikely we'll get all that.

EBRforum Junkie
    I'm betting on AIM reveal for the AX. Went to the expo last year, going again this year.

EBRforum Expert
    Speaking of Hero and EBR, here's a recent article on the subject: http://www.businessweek.com/articles...tocorp-team-up

Next summer, Hero will begin exporting four of its models to the U.S., with EBR acting as the sole distributor—the first time its motorcycles will be sold in the U.S. ...
    Buell says the Hero imports will include a scooter, high-mileage city bikes, and a lightweight sports bike. Prices could undercut Honda’s CBR300R, which retails for under $5,000.
    "Lightweight sports bike" and "could undercut Honda's CBR300R" sounds like the Hero HX250R:

Isn't there some sort of tax or other restriction on bikes over 250 cc in India? I thought I had heard something like that. It would be interesting if Hero can sell the standard 250 and EBR can sell a 300 cc version that's a little higher performance.

EBRforum Expert
    Just found this article at Cycle World: http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/08/29...ogram-manager/

Very interesting comments on the AX:
    The AX will be a completely new motorcycle. It won’t be a simple variance of the RX and SX. A lot of work and investment needs to go into that. We’ve got to continue to grow our dealer network, grow our brand in the field. When is it coming? Hopefully someday. I have no direct answer for that, but we get that question all the time. I’d like to see it happen. I have a Buell Ulysses in my garage. That was a fun project!
    Very interesting about it being something other than another variant of the RX and SX, but disappointing that it may be a WHILE before we see it.

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceya View Post
    ok, so not even Japanese mxers will have kickstarters within just a few years (japs looking at ktms best sellers, 350sx-f & FE line of Husky) so why would a 1200cc road going bike have one ?
    I'm assuming you meant Japanese MX bikes will NOT have kick-starters in a few years, and it's fairly obvious you're not really reading (or don't understand) other comments in the thread. Obviously if the AX wallows in with a 1200cc displacement kick start would be impractical and ridiculous, but to get to some of the goals discussed earlier in the thread, like lower weight, more maintenance autonomy anything south of a liter in displacement can be easily kick started.

- weight will be 430-480 dry *estimating 70% dirt 30% road*
    Means it's performance bias is going to be more like 80% street, 20% dirt, completely upside down with what you imagination is telling you, and real use bias will be more like 90% street, 10% dirt -- even for experienced off-road racers and ADV riders, based on real use statistics...

- 19" front with 21" optional, non-fully spoked
    This will defacto nail the bike to the pavement with only a 5% performance and use envelope for for nothing but groomed dirt roads; it will make riding even a high end of middle weight 430 lb machine in real off-road conditions an onerous proposal few will want to do, and even fewer will actually attempt or sustain, making real adventure touring that includes actual off-road riding exhausting and impractical.

- 150-165 hp (focus on torque/mpg/reliability) *petrol only*
    This is a ridiculous non sequitur, I suppose you want the bike to have built in magical powers too...

- belt drive (reliability/low long term maintenance/low weight)
    Sure, but with your other specifications and considerations it might as well have shaft drive, and use the shaft from a Ford delivery truck, the added weight won't matter...

- additional fuel reservoir (allow the use of same frame as rx/sx)
    Yes (sarcasm) lets have an expensive, and virtually impossible or impossibly expensive to repair frame that's easily damaged and totally obviates maintenance autonomy and serious adventure off-road riding where the bike will get dumped.

Raceya what you want is already available, just buy one of the EBR racing machines and put a steel grate over the headlight and you'll have your pretend adventure bike...
    Last edited by Hoak; 08-30-2014 at 10:22 AM.

EBRforum Newb
    ok, so not even Japanese mxers will have kickstarters within just a few years (japs looking at ktms best sellers, 350sx-f & FE line of Husky) so why would a 1200cc road going bike have one ?

- weight will be 430-480 dry *estimating 70% dirt 30% road*

- 19" front with 21" optional, non-fully spoked

- 150-165 hp (focus on torque/mpg/reliability) *petrol only*

- belt drive (reliability/low long term maintenance/low weight)

- proper center stand option (options keep official specs down)

- accessory dc power & heated grips (ala uly)

- additional fuel reservoir (allow the use of same frame as rx/sx)
    What your describing here is a ****tier less autonomous BMW GS. I already have one of those so no thanks.
    Even if EBR would want to build GS killer, it would be just another one in the pack. I rode most of them now except for the big beamer GS and Vstrom and most of them seem to have one flaw or another in terms of offroad usability by a novice rider, and its not always the weight that is an issue.
    Most of the time is budget garbage suspension (F800GS, SuperTenere) on a otherwise very expensive bike, terrible ergo's and weight distribution, some its just terrible design flaws that sandblast your engine (KTM 1190 im looking at you!).
    Because a novice rider can't take it offroad without a whole dealership wharehouse of crap is why these are used so much on the street rather than in the dirt. My friends Wr250R really looks appealing after having ridden my F800GS offroad now and then for a few years.

And for the power i will leave this here. You shurely need 150 bhp to ride a long strait road, and those big EBR brakes on the rear so you can slow down and take the corners at 1mph :).

EBRforum Newb
    Ya, dirt road dragster, with a parts logistics wagon train in tow, brilliant!

(heavy sarcasm)