Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crankcase full of coolant???

EBRforum Newb

crankcase full of coolant???

Just picked up a couple ebr 1190rx's and doing initial inspection noticed one had entire coolant capacity in crankcase. Poured water in radiator after draining pan and it drained right out oil drain plug. Anybody have this issue?

EBRforum Novice
    That's not good.

EBRforum Expert
    Hopefully that is caused by a bad head gasket.

EBRforum ProvNov
    That doesn't sound right at all. I'm thinking this is just someone trying to bash EBR.
    If you don't mind the question, why did you just happen to pick up a couple RX's?

EBRforum Newb
    Picked up one for my friend , got em for 10k out the door.

EBRforum ProvNov
    I'm sure they are checked before they are sold. Every bike I've ever bought I have ridden before I bought it. Ten grand each and you didn't even ride one; (And there's no possible way that wouldn't be noticed. Something's not adding up here. Show some pics of your situation.
    Last edited by Another Buell; 05-18-2015 at 08:18 PM.

EBRforum Newb
    Yeah not to be crappy....but it's a hard story to buy. 20 grand in motorcycles and never even warmed them up first? This thing is to closely related to the 1125 for that to have not been noticed. If the cooling system was dry because it was all in the crankcase....it would have overheated very quickly. And been very noticeable. Hell they get warm quick with all of the coolant in the right place. And for you to watch coolant poor out the oil drain hole while pouring coolant in the radiator seems like it would be more than just a head gasket. More like a giant hole in a water jacket going straight into an oil galley.

EBRforum Novice
    Assuming you received these bikes in their crates with no previous startup or pre-service by the dealer, I would take a look at the plumbing. Hoses may have been misrouted during assembly?

The dealer I bought from did say that he had a couple shipped to him with the coolant system dry. Good luck.

EBRforum Novice
    It does seem a curiously large leak. What numbers are they? Dealer?

EBRforum Newb
    mine was #294 , just got it broke in. Not a single problem. His was #298 I thinK. Dealer was shark cycle in Stafford conneticut. had to of know of the problem when it was prepped. Had 16 miles on it. I should have checked when I picked up. Drove from Baltimore to pick up then up to Detroit. Never had a problem with a new bike, wasn't even concerned Especially with there reputation and quality control At ebr.