Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Chain and Sprockets

EBRforum ProvNov
    For some reason if you adjust the bike while on a swingarm stand it will be tight when you put it on the ground.....

EBRforum Newb
    Cleaned and lubed my chain yesterday with AMSOIL MP heavy duty metal protector. I'm getting no chain whine on decel in 1st gear only .... Any ideas?

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketjump View Post
    Cleaned and lubed my chain yesterday with AMSOIL MP heavy duty metal protector. I'm getting no chain whine on decel in 1st gear only .... Any ideas?
    Really like the MP myself.

How is your tension? Your slider and idler still in good shape? How many miles?

EBRforum Newb
    The bike has 2200 miles on it so it shouldn't be anything catastrophic. I won't have a day off for about a week so I can't really check .. My work schedule sucks. What would I be looking for in the slider and idler?

also I was riding with a passenger on the back and I noticed power loss in 4th+ gear...

Clutch broke?
    EBR 1190 RX

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketjump View Post
    The bike has 2200 miles on it so it shouldn't be anything catastrophic. I won't have a day off for about a week so I can't really check .. My work schedule sucks. What would I be looking for in the slider and idler?

also I was riding with a passenger on the back and I noticed power loss in 4th+ gear...

Light clutch pull kit installed?

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    Light clutch pull kit installed?
    Nope, bike is completely stock. It only appears when a passenger is on though.

cumulative weight between the both us .. Maybe 260lbs.

the no whine on decel appears anytime, 2nd gear and up are fine.
    Last edited by rocketjump; 03-17-2016 at 09:42 AM.

No whine on decel means one of two things, either the chain is too tight or chain rub has been worn down. The stock chain really stretches a lot. By a lot I mean by amount and frequency. It should be checked after EVERY ride. Also remember it must be checked on top as the idler maintains the tension on the bottom through out the swingarm travel.

EBRforum ProvNov
    I believe that no whine on decel means the chain is too loose. At least that's what Jacob S., honcho, at MotoEnthusiasts says. http://motoenthusiasts.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I believe that no whine on decel means the chain is too loose. At least that's what Jacob S., honcho, at MotoEnthusiasts says. http://motoenthusiasts.com/
    I don't claim to know it all, but in my experiences with the bike; too tight and the chain doesn't have enough slack on decel to rub the slide shoe which I think is what makes the whine. If the rub is worn down too much it won't whine at the proper tension. Too loose and it will quickly eat through the slide shoe and into the swing arm. The slide shoe has a center ridge that keeps the chain centered. Once it is gone the chain will also batter the sides of the opening in the swing arm as well. Don't listen to people who say the bottom run should smile, the idler maintains constant slack. Set your slack like a yamahondasuki and you're setting yourself up to have a real bad day.