Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Chain and Sprockets

It is strange that when adjusting the slack of the chain is not taken into account the weight of the rider, as it happens with any other motorcycles.
    EBR 1190 RX

Well, my sprocket is great, swing arm is not chewed up, and this isn't my first rodeo,so I know what I'm doing when I set chain slack. My son (who had a 1125, (2) zx-10) told me I was running it too tight,but I assured him that I called EBR and it was correct, then chewed rear sprocket! I had a zx-14 ( that I traded in for my dream bike ,the RX ) was about an inch slack. I feel confident in my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by rx1190kevin View Post
    My rear sprocket was ruined because I followed the spec's for chain slack in the owners manual. I even called Adam Wells at EBR and asked him if the spec's were correct. They are NOT right. The bike suspension geometry will tear up the sprocket. I leave my chain at about an inch or so. Besides the chain tensioner works great for slack. Have put about 4,000 miles on new sprocket,looks great. Af1 has both rear and aft final drive sprockets
    You do realise that an Inch is equal to about 25mm- so an inch or SO puts your right in that 30mm range. I'm just saying...

Today inspected mine chain and swingarm. The chain is almost touching the swingarm - distance of less than 10 mm.
    To it was 30 mm must be strong to pull the chain. Perhaps that is why the chain will break - it is a strong tension!

I do not understand - it is necessary to measure the maximum free lift chains take her hand as far as possible from the swingarm to get the 30 + - 2 mm? Or is it the distance should be at free state of chain?
    Last edited by zviadi; 08-05-2015 at 02:52 PM.
    EBR 1190 RX

Junkie your right,30 mm is an inch and so,lol. I did the calculation from mm to inches wrong. Ebr was correct ,I was the one who screwed up. So the manual is correct. I got the conversion off the computer and it was no where near an 1 and so. I did **** up royally, and I'm man enough to admit it

EBRforum Newb
    I have about 2200 miles on my new EBR 1190rx and I need to replace my chain guard/rub at it has eaten through the bottom and the side of the guard as seen in the pictures attached. I had my bike serviced at a [COLOR=rgb(47, 47, 47)]Contra Costa Powersports in Concord CA [/COLOR]just after the break in period and I had asked them to adjust the chain. I will review the tension of the chain and examine the tooth wear on the sprocket.

Classax, is summary what chain would you go with next? and are you aware of tougher after market chain rubs/guards?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6465.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	618.9 KB 
ID:	822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6464.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	679.7 KB 
ID:	823

EBRforum Junkie
    Remooney, it looks as though your chain is in need of replacing. It is falling pretty far to the side to have that much material ate away from the swingarm.

In everyone's opinion, who makes a better, longer lasting chain for our machines? They seem to stretch, as many have noted on here. Or maybe it is that the link pin holes are wearing a lot, as it apprears is the case here with remooney.
    Last edited by buell-fan; 02-23-2016 at 07:05 PM.

EBRforum Junkie
    Replaced mine with this one per a recommendation from here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

I've had to adjust it 4-5 times in 3500 miles compared to the every other ride adjustment on the OEM Regina.

Quote Originally Posted by remooney View Post
    I have about 2200 miles on my new EBR 1190rx and I need to replace my chain guard/rub at it has eaten through the bottom and the side of the guard as seen in the pictures attached. I had my bike serviced at a [COLOR=rgb(47, 47, 47)]Contra Costa Powersports in Concord CA [/COLOR]just after the break in period and I had asked them to adjust the chain. I will review the tension of the chain and examine the tooth wear on the sprocket.

Classax, is summary what chain would you go with next? and are you aware of tougher after market chain rubs/guards?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6465.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	618.9 KB 
ID:	822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6464.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	679.7 KB 
ID:	823
    A couple things. Your chain is too loose. 2 your wheel alignment looks off to the drive side.

The chain rub has a center tounge thay keeps a properly aligned chain in the center. If the chain is run too loose too long the tounge gets worn away allowing the chaon to flop side to side. You need a new slider and a new chain. DID520 VMX if you're street riding and ER if you track and replace it regularly. Just my 2cents though.

yea looking at the pics the pins on your chain links are getting damaged. If they loose their flare on the ends that can allow the links to come apart and if they come apart at all its going to be when you have a lot of stress on them so it will be at the worst possible time. I would probably get a new chain like Classax said just to be safe although there isn't that much damage to them yet.