Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Chain and Sprockets

EBRforum Junkie

Lets Talk Chain and Sprockets

So, I'm sitting right about 7k miles now and my chain is very unevenly worn. Time for a new one for sure.

Been talking to Timothy about the DiD ZVMX chain, and I'll probably swap to that.

My rear sprocket was replaced by EBR 700-1k miles ago, but I'll likely replace it and keep as an extra if I can.

Anyone have any sources for a front drive sprocket? Or rear for that matter, now that EBR is gone? Anyone tried any aftermarket sprockets/chains and have opinions?

EBRforum Novice
    The front drive sprocket is going to be challenging. Personally, I will be looking into using the race solution (uncompensated) when mine wears out, or getting in a drive-spline compatible front sprocket and machining spacers for it. The OEM part is outrageously expensive. The rear sprockets are apparently Vortex 812-XX (XX=tooth count) and readily available.

I run a 520 DID ERV3 chain. It's a quality chain -- set up right lasted me a whole race season.

EBRforum Novice
    I'm curious, what is wearing unevenly? Is the tensioner doing it?

Wonder if the belt drive components off an 1125 will work? Or even survive the power. Though that Polaris Slingshot is running a belt.

EBRforum Junkie
    I'm not sure exactly, oddball, but I do know that it is extremely tight (10mm roughly) in one area and loose (30-35 mm) in another. I know there is a bit of difference throughout the chain, but that's significant.

What's causing? Probably wheelies and hard launches honestly

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by noone1569 View Post
    What's causing? Probably wheelies and hard launches honestly
    That or a major suspension excursion with a chain set slightly too tight.

EBRforum Novice
    Are you saying he played Ghost Rider and jumped a few helicopters?

EBRforum ProvNov
    "The rear sprockets are apparently Vortex 812-XX (XX=tooth count) and readily available."

Isn't the Vortex part number actually 821-XX? I recently bought a Vortex 821-41 (to match stock gearing) off an eBay ad and it seems to be a perfect match (same hole pattern, proper ID, etc.).

Front and rear sprockets are available from parts unlimited, order from AF1. vortex sprockets that we can currently buy are aluminum, stock steel is not available through them until EBR chapter 128 is finalized.

EBRforum ProvNov
    The 1190RX OE rear sprocket is steel? If that's true, it must be stainless steel as a magnet won't stick to my OE sprocket or either OE replacement I've purchased.

The oem is not steel it's hard anodized aluminum. Its been lightened in multiple ways. You will notice it has much larger holes and while the load bearing tooth ring is standard thickness, the inner area is 3mm thinner.