Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel light stays on

EBRforum Newb
    If it's not the fuel pump sensor itself, would it be possible for a loose wire/bad connection somewhere in the harness to cause the low fuel light to stay on? It seems to me that, if anything, a loose wire would cause the low fuel light not to activate even if there was a proper low fuel signal. Any thoughts?

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by roadking1 View Post
    I needed to remove the swingarm. Not really a difficult task but it requires a special 22 mm hex bit. I couldn't find one anywhere but the dealer kindly let me borrow a special EBR socket type bit made just for that. You first remove the tire, unbolt the shock, unplug the two connectors on the swingarm, loosen the crimp bolt and unscrew the swingarm axle (it's just one sided). You then need to remove the large snap ring (small snap ring pliers wont work, you need big ones). After you have removed that, you need the special fuel pump puller that EBR makes to slowly the pump from the frame (of course you first have to drain all fuel). Honestly, if you have the right tools the whole job won't take more than thirty minutes.

I'll try to take a picture of the actual part with the float attached. There was a number on it. There were no crimps, however. Just two small gauge black wires that went down to the base of the pump and into a grommet to exit the pump along with two or three other wires.
    Thanks for the info. Any progress?

EBRforum Newb
    You know, I just put it back together. As I said, I was worried about the o rings expanding to point where I wouldn't be able to put the pump back in so I reassembled it before taking any pictures. I would imagine that once we know who supplied the pump, we could contact them and ask for the details on the sensor (it's just a tiny piece with a float and two wires), and order a new sensor. It would be an extremely fix -- just splice it in. Who knows, it could be a defective float that filled with fuel and no longer floats. That would be an even easier fix. It just slides on to a short shaft with a plastic circlip on top.

EBRforum Expert
    If it's the same as a Buell XB axle (which IIRC is also 22mm), you can "invert" a common 11/16" spark plug socket wrench (see below) and use it with a 1/2" extension and ratchet.

Name:  w1126c.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  11.1 KB

You insert your 1/2" extension into the "spark plug" end of the socket and stick the hex into the axle (or in your case, the swingarm axle). It actually works better than the factory tool as it's easier to keep in place in the axle.

EBRforum Novice
    You know, I just put it back together. As I said, I was worried about the o rings expanding to point where I wouldn't be able to put the pump back in so I reassembled it before taking any pictures. I would imagine that once we know who supplied the pump, we could contact them and ask for the details on the sensor (it's just a tiny piece with a float and two wires), and order a new sensor. It would be an extremely fix -- just splice it in. Who knows, it could be a defective float that filled with fuel and no longer floats. That would be an even easier fix. It just slides on to a short shaft with a plastic circlip on top.
    Interesting that an actual float is used vs. a thermistor in an application with the fuel pump mounting angle this bike has. Maybe a test with the pump submerged in a container of fuel, held at the approximate mounting angle, and the float wire plug terminals connected to the bike wiring harness via jumper wires would be worthwhile.

EBRforum Newb
    Thanks to both of you. With regard to the float on the pump, I didn't get a chance to test it since I had to put it back quickly on account of the o rings expanding. It would be easy, though. You could even just manually hold the float up and see if the light goes off. Anyway, does anyone know who made the pump? I would imagine that they would have spare float units/floats. Again, it's just one little two wire piece attaches to the pump assembly. To me, it's not worth buying a whole new pump at $625.

EBRforum Expert
    It might be worth a call to Al Lighton at American Sport Bike. This sounds like the same arrangement on the Buell 1125 and ASB sells a replacement float switch that can be used on the 1125 pump unit. I wouldn't be surprised if it would work on the 1190.

EBRforum Newb
    Thanks so much. Will do!

EBRforum Newb
    They don't have it. The pump on the 1125 is quite different than the one on the 1190. Both pumps are also apparently made by Buell out of various components. There is not a separate company supplying the entire unit. It would be great to get a hold one of the technicians/engineers at EBR to see if they could shed light on where the components of the pump were sourced.

EBRforum ProvNov
    It would be great to get a hold one of the technicians/engineers at EBR to see if they could shed light on where the components of the pump were sourced.
    I wouldn't count on anything until the receivership situation is settled, whether it's sourcing information regarding parts, or (fingers crossed) EBR being re-opened.