Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ok, it's been very cold, didn't ride or crank her for 2 months: battery dead - help?

EBRforum ProvNov
    So I picked up the Shorai charger today. It turns out my battery is apparently charged fully. Not really sure what the issue is. I parked it in late December. It sat for about a week or two, when I tried to start it, it just clicked so I figured it must be the battery. So I took it out, charged it with a regular charger then stored it until a few days ago. Now I noticed when I turn the key, for a brief second it say communication error, then that goes away. When I turn the run switch off, the fuel pump cycles. I'm not sure what's going on, but when I rode it last I didn't have any problems. The place I got it from said they will pick it up next week for me so when I find out what's going on I will post whatever happened.

EBRforum ProvNov
    The deal with using Shorai batteries when it's very cold is you have to let the battery warm up internally before trying to crank the bike. This is done, I'm told, by just turning the key on and wait for a few minutes (5 or 10?) before hitting the start button. The current draw to light the headlight and other electrics is supposed to be sufficient to warm up the battery after a few minutes.

EBRforum ProvNov
    I did try to let the battery warm up for at least ten minutes with the key on but nothing. I'm at a loss. Like I stated in my earlier post, I picked up the Shorai charger and it only took 5 minutes to read fully charged. I have had some other issues such as the fuel light coming on with a half a tank, and very brief 02 sensor codes. The lights would sometimes not switch from high to low beam as well sometimes. I'm thinking there's an electrical gremlen somewhere in there. I had the same fuel light issue on both my 08 and 09 1125. So I'll be interested to find out why that is going on. I'm going to go out and check all the wiring today and see if I can find any issues. If not, I'll just wait for the dealer to pick it up next week. I got it at Whites H.D in Lebanon P.A. They are really great people there and offered to pick it up for free which was really awesome of them.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Just wanted to update in case anyone had similar issues. After the shop did some troubleshooting, they determined my starter is bad. They said about two weeks to get a starter from EBR.So far that will be the throttle cable, the front fairings,both sides,uppers and lowers, and both mirrors,their still working on the fuel light issue.The fairings cracked at the mounting tabs, and the mirrors are being replaced because the little caps covering the hardware blew off somewhere. I figured there would be issues that came up so I'm ok with it. They have been very fair fixing things and that's important to me. I just wish they didn't take so long. But I'm still very happy with the bike.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Just wanted to update. I got my bike back today. They replaced the starter, clutch upgrade, which is fantastic,and the rear brake fluid bracket. Still waiting on the lower fairings. They s nt know what went wrong, just a bad starter. All is well now. Just need some spring like temperatures!!!

EBRforum Newb
    I had a small LiFePO charger, it didnt like the current draw lol. Bigger charger on 2 amp maxed out for a minute then drew on down. Perked battery right up, cranked normally. Now just need warmth and time to get her out and run her. Thanks for the help.