Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok, it's been very cold, didn't ride or crank her for 2 months: battery dead - help?

EBRforum Newb

ok, it's been very cold, didn't ride or crank her for 2 months: battery dead - help?

I'm competent with plenty of tools, so... where's the best spot to get a charger on her? and leave a battery tender on her? unheated storage bldg. was unkind to lithium battery I guess... working 80 hrs a week, I have no time to puzzle it out, so I'm asking y'all for some help.

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by LineArrayNut View Post
    I'm competent with plenty of tools, so... where's the best spot to get a charger on her? and leave a battery tender on her? unheated storage bldg. was unkind to lithium battery I guess... working 80 hrs a week, I have no time to puzzle it out, so I'm asking y'all for some help.
    This charger plugs right into a port on the battery and the lead can stay connected to the battery at all times. I won't pretend to know much about lithium-ion batteries, but this charger claims to be able to maintain the battery without risk of damage. I have one and it's doing the job just fine.

http://www.cyclegear.com/SHORAI-Battery-Charger

EBRforum ProvNov
    You leave the key on? I have read lithium ion will lose minimum charge even after a year of storage.

EBRforum Newb
    Thx for the responses. I more need how to get to the battery or a good spot to put a couple clean amps to the harness. Act like you just pulled the pillion pad off: now what?

EBRforum ProvNov
    I'm having the same problem. My battery was giving me problems as soon as it got cold. It would barely turn over once the temp got below 50. I took it out in December, used a regular charger to top it off. Then periodically charged it until a day ago. It won't start my bike now so I'm guessing my battery is just defective. Its reading 13 volts with a volt meter so I'm also guessing that's not enough juice to start it. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this issue. I spoke with Adam at EBR and his advice was get a Shorai charger and use that. Anyone else having battery issues?

EBRforum ProvNov
    The charging connector is right on top of the battery. There's a little grey tab, if you pull that tab up there's a bunch of pins there. I'm guessing that's the charging port.

EBRforum Newb
    https://m.facebook.com/ErikBuellRaci...30789&__tn__=C

I find it odd that the guy on EBR's Facebook page needed to replace his battery due to the cold, not just charge it. Yes, the grey tab on top of the battery is the charging port.

EBRforum Newb
    So... how did y'all GET to the battery... lol!

EBRforum Newb
    The battery is under the seat. There is only one bolt under the sub frame that you need to remove.

EBRforum ProvNov
    I've never had a cranking problem but I don't think mine has sat for more than 2 months without riding ... instead of the charger .. just disconnect the negative battery cable during storage.