Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ECU/Shock/Gearing Review

Adam at EBR told me that the ECM could deal with up to 3 additional teeth on the rear without adversely affecting TC. I usually leave mine off anyway because it seems to affect power delivery. They are working on a programmable speedo fix.

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowride View Post
    Adam at EBR told me that the ECM could deal with up to 3 additional teeth on the rear without adversely affecting TC. I usually leave mine off anyway because it seems to affect power delivery. They are working on a programmable speedo fix.
    I'm curious, does anyone understand why the speedo would be affected by changing gearing? I thought the speedo was only linked to the rear wheel speed sensor. Changing gearing doesn't change the rear wheel rpm to bike speed ratio, so what am I missing? I understand that TC would change, as it depends on engine rpm relative to rear wheel speed, but the speedo issue has me scratching my head.

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by pytalkamus View Post
    I'm curious, does anyone understand why the speedo would be affected by changing gearing? I thought the speedo was only linked to the rear wheel speed sensor. Changing gearing doesn't change the rear wheel rpm to bike speed ratio, so what am I missing? I understand that TC would change, as it depends on engine rpm relative to rear wheel speed, but the speedo issue has me scratching my head.
    I also wondered this..

EBRforum ProvNov
    This is same as folks that did the XB9 to XB12 Primary Gear swap for better low end on the XB12. If you did the swap with the Primary gear then the speedo would stay accurate. But if you just swapped Pulleys it would not. Most newer bikes that have ABS calculate speed off the ABS ring so swapping gears doesn't affect anything. The EBR must still be using the Primary for the Speedo timing.

Did Adam at EBR indicate there would be a software update to the Dash to allow selecting different sprockets? That would be cool.

I also see no sign of the Speed Shifter even though the Racing ECU supports it ..

I will go on record and say that in spite of how smooth the gearbox is on the RX, a quickshifter is the one glaring omission that should have come stock at this price point. That's the one big short coming vs the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Classax View Post
    I will go on record and say that in spite of how smooth the gearbox is on the RX, a quickshifter is the one glaring omission that should have come stock at this price point. That's the one big short coming vs the competition.
    I agree, quickshifter option should be standard on the bike, with that in mind, I set up a GP shifter with a DynoJet switch and EBR ecm, trying it out tomorrow.

EBRforum Newb
    How does it affect the TC. I just orders a 44t sprocket.

EBRforum Newb
    The speedo shouldn't be effected by sprocket change. The gear indicator would be

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowride View Post
    The closest gear ratio is 5th to 6th, which is a change of 1.042/0.95=108.5%. As long as your change in rear sprocket is less than that, I wouldn't think it would adversely effect the gear indicator. Going up 3 teeth is an increase of 107.3%, so that makes perfect sense to me. Going up 4 teeth would be 109.8%, so I can see why that could cause the ECM to think you're still in 5th gear.