Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: new 1190RX owner

EBRforum Junkie
    Mark -

Noo...
    Leave the bike on its stand. Remove the upper side fairing screws, pull it aside and remove the radiator cap (engine cold !!).
    Verify/fill the radiator, replace the cap.
    For the best results the radiator cap NEEDS to be the highest point in the system...(not possible with the bike straight up and down)..! It's a matter of gravity.

Mike

EBRforum Newb
    Thanks. Will check it that way. What is the recommended coolant that is compatible with what's in there now? Distilled water/glycol (50/50)? Any thoughts on the gas cap problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1RX View Post
    Thanks. Will check it that way. What is the recommended coolant that is compatible with what's in there now? Distilled water/glycol (50/50)? Any thoughts on the gas cap problem?
    Just add distilled water to top it off. You dont need to maintain a perfect 50/50 mix if you're in Texas. I keep a roughly 70/30 mix of 70% water, 30% water-wetter in my racebike, it never sees any freezing temps because I dont leave it outside.
    Last edited by kneepucker; 07-08-2015 at 01:24 PM.
    #811 CMRA
    2014 EBR 1190RX #302

EBRforum Junkie
    Correct on what kneepucker says.
    Antifreeze does NOT transfer heat. Water only does that.
    I also run about a 25% antifreeze, 75% distilled water in all my vehicles, cars and bikes.

And for what it's worth, the Water Wetter type stuff...there's a reason why the the FAA banned that from any water cooled aircraft...!
    I tried it (both cars and bikes), after one summer, drained it and went to the above mixture, many years ago.

Mike

EBRforum Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1RX View Post
    Any thoughts on the gas cap problem?
    Like somebody said above, I'll bet they installed a cap from another bike on your bike so your key doesn't work in it. If you can get to the dealer, maybe they can find a key that will fit. If not, a locksmith can probably get the cap off in a few minutes and make a key to fit it. If you get desparate, jimmy it open and do without a lock until you can get a replacement cap. I know one guy with a Buell XB9R that's been riding that way for years!

EBRforum ProvNov
    @ Mark1rx, fwiw my key was VERY hard to unlock the gas cap on my SX. But since the key is steel (seems like it) an extra amount of force undid the cap, and a little of WD40 helped thereafter.

Just bought my bike today, a yellow 1190RX. It won't get here till Thursday, but very excited. Traded my Fat Bob for it.

Didn't get the yellow... they only had a red, and didn't see me asking about a yellow... oh well.. still a good deal and a great bike...

EBRforum Newb
    OK. Will keep trying to unlock cap. Will get an extra key made and bend that one. Too hot to ride anyway.

EBRforum Newb
    Buying new 2014 1190RX in Red and have to get it shipped. Could take 34 days before I get the bike. Long wait for a new ride. Will sell current 1125r once it arrives. I look forward to my first ride on my new bike.