Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1190AX at AIM Expo?

EBRforum Expert
    Well, no AX release at AIMExpo. Two Badwebbers that asked about it at the EBR booth got very different answers.

One said "Supposedly no AX for a few years. ...According to him there is just too much competition in the adventure bike field with not enough return to warrant a prototype at this time."

The other said "I asked about the AX and was told that their work for Hero had slowed things down. The guy said they were still in the prototype stage and to expect the AX some time next year."

Answer "B" goes with what I heard from a dealer I asked. Hopefully that's the correct info.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
    Well, no AX release at AIMExpo. Two Badwebbers that asked about it at the EBR booth got very different answers.

One said "Supposedly no AX for a few years. ...According to him there is just too much competition in the adventure bike field with not enough return to warrant a prototype at this time."

The other said "I asked about the AX and was told that their work for Hero had slowed things down. The guy said they were still in the prototype stage and to expect the AX some time next year."

Answer "B" goes with what I heard from a dealer I asked. Hopefully that's the correct info.
    Answer A doesn't sound like anything we've seen or heard anywhere else. It seems clear that the original intention was to unveil it at AIM. It may not have worked that way, but there's no evidence it's been shelved (it's still on the website for one thing).

The AX is the missing piece that would bring us back to a similar line-up to what Buell had before they closed, so I think that's where we're headed - just a little slower than originally intended.

But once we're back to that Buellish line-up, I think that's when things will get really interesting because things could go anywhere from there. Though most likely we'll be seeing a smaller platform and new range based on that smaller platform.

EBRforum Expert
    Several people at Badweb (some who should know) have stated or hinted that the AX will not be based on the 1190, but will be an all-new platform. That kind of leaves the future wide-open.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
    Several people at Badweb (some who should know) have stated or hinted that the AX will not be based on the 1190, but will be an all-new platform. That kind of leaves the future wide-open.
    Well technically the Ulysses was an 'all new platform' compared to the other XB's, correct?

It may have looked similar and shared an engine, but the frame was larger (with increased fuel capacity) and had different geometry than the XB's and was mated to a different subframe.

If I had to speculate, I'd expect the AX to be even more different than the SX and RX than the Ulysses was from the XB's, but I'd still expect it to share a family resemblance. I'd also expect the engine to grow to 1300 cc, and those changes would certainly classify it as a unique platform by most definitions.

I guess it is possible it could be based on the Hastur, for example, but I expect that's unlikely. The RX, SX and AX designations would indicate to me that the three bikes are in the same family.

But I think is safe to say we don't know much at this point, so it should be fun to see.