Thread: Battery again?

EBRforum Newb

Battery again?

Howdy All

Fixed bike cluster issues with new potted cluster and then my mechanic replaced voltage regulator since bike would die every two days not running or being charged. Even with brand new battery.

That didn’t fix issue. Still dies after 48 hours sitting and today after riding 20 miles it just died in middle of the ride coming up to a stop sign. Dash was still on but engine cut out and battery warning came on.

What in the world is happening?

What happened after? Did it start right up? Yes? A simple stall. You're good. The battery light turns on when it's not running because a non running engine isn't charging the battery. Same reason the oil light comes on after a stall.

No? You either have a large parasitic draw or the charging system isn't working properly. Or both. ANY mechanic should have checked the very basics of the charging system before they started swapping parts, so they should know exactly whats wrong with that very simple system. If not, never go back to them. Ever.

You haven't given nearly enough (any) information to diagnose it from the internet, so.. with a ton of guessing on my part... are you ready to fix it yourself? This should be surprisingly easy.

Since it died after running for awhile (assuming it did NOT restart?) we can skip a couple steps. Pull up the voltage display on your dash (should be 12.5V+) No? Charge it fully (not a 'tender' thing, a battery charger) Yes? Next step,
    Start it. You should have 13.5-14.7 volts at 2500RPM and above. Yes? charging system is good (but still a possible intermittent issue), No? charging system is not working, could be as simple as a fuse.

Battery dies every few days? Take the negative cable off. Set your meter to "amps" and put one lead on the battery and one on the loose cable. Should read less than 1/2 amp (500mA). Yes? You're good. No? You have an excessive draw somewhere. Leave the meter connected and pull the fuses one by one. When the reading drops, thats the circuit to check. Do the same by pulling the ECM plugs and the dash plug.

I think they should change the name of this Forum to "Cooter's EBR Forum".
    Nice job man, helping people out.
    Last edited by StrangeTrip; 06-27-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    Current rides:
    2015 EBR 1190SX
    2006 Buell XB12Ss

Thanks bud:) The truth stings bit though...
    I don't do the FaceBook thing, so this quiet place is all I got to hang out with other EBR dorks;)

I hear you, I don't do any of the social media madness.
    Quiet is Peaceful. Good for the Soul.
    Current rides:
    2015 EBR 1190SX
    2006 Buell XB12Ss

EBRforum Newb
    Still not fixed. Battery issue seems to be ok, but now it's thrown 4 trouble codes. EBR tech says must be electrical issue of some sort and mechanic just needs to check all the grounds and power? He highly doubts all the items went wrong at same time. Fuel Pump doesn't seem to be starting up. But all this started after crappy garage installed new Voltage Regulator that musta tripped something?

P1151 Bank Angle Sensor
    P1152 Bank Angle Sensor
    P0628 Fuel System Fault
    P0087 Fuel Pressure Fault

Thats a silly thing to recommend "Just check everything" lol. You get those codes if it gets knocked over:(, or if someone tried to start the bike with the BAS off it's mount. They should clear themselves.

What? "Fuel pump doesn't seem to be starting up"?? Does the bike start and run? Is the BAS where it should be and plugged in?

EBRforum Newb
    What? "Fuel pump doesn't seem to be starting up"?? Does the bike start and run? Is the BAS where it should be and plugged in?

Bike cranks, but doesn't start. I went cheap and risked buying a used BAS for $12. Perhaps it was crap and I just need to spring $80 for a new one. If that is the problem. Would that trigger those other Fuel system codes if it was just the BAS?

Thanks

The BAS is supposed to kill the fuel pump when the bike falls over. Attempting to start it with a bad/unplugged/unmounted BAS is why it's throwing those codes. Make sure the "UP" arrow is correct. It needs to know which way is up.