Thread: Filters

EBRforum Newb

Filters

Just bought a 2014 1190sx we’re can I get an air filter and oil filter for it ?

K&N part # KN-564 Will cost you $12 from some new place called Amazon.com. It's the same as the Buell 1125, because it's the same engine (with mods of course). Use whatever brand synthetic oil you like that is specific to V-Twin motorcycles.

The OE air filter is a cleanable type like K&N, so just clean it. I'm always surprised how quickly it gets dirty. Do NOT spray oil on it.

Congrats on your new bike!

• AIR FILTER
      from Aagard: https://aagaardmotofoundry.bigcartel.com/product/ebr-air-filter-element-washable-element

like Cooter said you can wash it. K&N sells an air filter cleaner that works great.
      I did get a new one from Aagard so I don't have to wait for the filter to wash-dry-reoil, I swap them and close the bike. Then the filter has all the time to dry and go in the parts shelf for next swap.

Cooter do you not re-oil the air filters at all?

Don't be surprised, the air filter on EBRs gets extremely dirty. Unlike any other bikes.

Before/after wash (when I got my RX):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2127.JPG 
Views:	577 
Size:	648.2 KB 
ID:	2254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2745.JPG 
Views:	328 
Size:	442.7 KB 
ID:	2255

EBRforum ProvNov
    Cooter, why do you state not to oil the air filter, or am I mis-reading your comment ? My spare OEM filter came pre-oiled and the owners manual indicates "Air Cleaner Inspect, clean & Reoil".

And yes, I have never known an m/c air filter dirty up as rapidly as this bike !

Well technically... I do oil it.

Since washing the filter correctly doesn't remove much oil, every 3rd wash, I will VERY LIGHTLY mist a tiny bit of K&N oil on it from a distance. Like making a perfect Martini, simply face towards Italy and whisper "....Vermouth...."

A lifetime of being a professional technician has shown me what happens if it's under oiled (nothing), or over oiled like 99.9999999823% of them are (burned O2 sensors, failed smog tests, rotting rubber, contaminated connectors, choked engines, damaged filters...) so I have come to the conclusion that less is more. I don't think that oiling an air filter is evil, there even are some specific situations I will lightly oil a disposable paper filter as well!

No offense to the OP, but since they weren't able to research that simple answer on their own like a technician would, I assumed they were a do-it-yourselfer type and would therefore act like 99.999999823% of them and think that more is better, so I was just erring on the side of caution. Assuming, that by the time the 3rd air filter cleaning comes around, they should have enough experience to make that decision on their own.