Thread: Some service questions

Some service questions

I'm sure I'm missing the obvious (as usual) but what the heck is the size of the fork oil seal and dust seal!? Theres no exploded view of the BPF forks and all the info I can find is "it needs a few more tools" or "my suspension guy said" :(

Can anyone here share a few details that has taken them apart personally? I am un-afraid to do the job, but would like to prep a little to minimize down-time. A little bit of info would help tremendously, thanks!

I also have swapped from the stock SX upper triple to the RX upper and now back to the SX (Long story). The SX upper is quite a bit thicker where the upper aluminum pre-load nut seats (the one that gets torqued to 40ft/lbs), and only threads on to the steering stem about ONE turn??
    This one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 1.05.35 PM.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	2191

The lower triple and stem assy are the same part# (RX/SX) and I had a friend with an SX check his. He said it seems to be like that on his too!?
    For the life of me I can't remember when I dis-assembled it for the first time, and can't wrap my head around 40ft/lbs on ONE thread of engagement.

Thanks for any help you can give, I LOVE this fun, dependable, bike but the limited info from such a limited production is starting to wear on me...

EBRforum Novice
    Have you asked Jens at NCCR?

I have not. I tried to figure it out myself and ended up just calling Chaz Aagard for the parts anyway.
    Good idea though. Guess I could shoot an e-mail over

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I'm sure I'm missing the obvious (as usual) but what the heck is the size of the fork oil seal and dust seal!? Theres no exploded view of the BPF forks and all the info I can find is "it needs a few more tools" or "my suspension guy said" :(

Can anyone here share a few details that has taken them apart personally? I am un-afraid to do the job, but would like to prep a little to minimize down-time. A little bit of info would help tremendously, thanks!

I also have swapped from the stock SX upper triple to the RX upper and now back to the SX (Long story). The SX upper is quite a bit thicker where the upper aluminum pre-load nut seats (the one that gets torqued to 40ft/lbs), and only threads on to the steering stem about ONE turn??
    This one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 1.05.35 PM.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	2191

The lower triple and stem assy are the same part# (RX/SX) and I had a friend with an SX check his. He said it seems to be like that on his too!?
    For the life of me I can't remember when I dis-assembled it for the first time, and can't wrap my head around 40ft/lbs on ONE thread of engagement.

Thanks for any help you can give, I LOVE this fun, dependable, bike but the limited info from such a limited production is starting to wear on me...

The oil seal and dust seal are the same as other Showa forks of the same size. I was able to use a spare from my old 08 Fireblade. I don't recommend this but it was already purchased years ago. I believe the 2011 to 2015 zx10r had the same size BPF. I think some bikes had 43mm and other models 45mm tubes so be careful when researching and purchasing.

You are right about that. Same thing EBR tech said "The same as other BPF forks". I just got a set from Aagard Moto Foundry, Good dude!