Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first EBR

My first EBR

Hi all,

I am new here. I found my first Buell just a couple of days ago, an EBR 1190RX.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3490 copy.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	578.7 KB 
ID:	2230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3491 copy.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	514.3 KB 
ID:	2231

As a teenager (almost 20 years ago), I was already very inspired from the design and engineering innovations of Buell.
    Being born and raised in France, I dreamed about these bikes and had posters all over my bedroom. But I never actually thought that one day I would live in California and ride an EBR. It is quite amazing where life takes you and I am humbled and grateful.

The reason Buell is so special to me is because I always looked up to people that challenged the status quo and found unique and innovative ways to make better products. This later pointed me in the direction of an industrial design career. The knowledge of design and engineering that I now have only amplify how much respect I have towards Eric Buell and the EBR team. I hope to meet these people one day and have some deep design-engineering discussions with them. In the meantime I am loving this 1190RX.

On another note, my EBR has a Dean Adams exhaust that is loud AF. it's cool but as of 2019 the sounds emission laws have changed in California and riders are getting heavy tickets right and left in the Bay Area. If anyone has a stock exhaust for the 1190RX I'm interested. please hit me up. (or just a quieter exhaust, cause I probably wouldn't want to add 20lbs to the bike).

Hope to meet up some fellow EBR owners in my area soon.

Cheers
    Last edited by 9RX; 01-09-2023 at 09:20 PM.

Congrats on the sweet ride! It looks super clean. I'm sure you'll love it. IME they love to be beaten, more so than babied. Lugging it at 4k RPM will cost you chains and swingarm guards. Here's an early pic of mine with my buddies at the base of Angeles Crest Hwy (2). He's a Frenchie to LA transplant too, lol.

You'll find it very quiet around here:( but there is a TON of useful info to read. Theres the Facebook thing of course, but I don't imbibe the scare tactics from armchair engineers (no your EBR isn't going to blow-up).

If you want to throw some personalization at it my list of cheap, best mod/have-too's is short.
    43 tooth rear sprocket
    An Oberon clutch slave with reduce the clutch pull by HALF (thread on here)
    Quickshifter (also a thread on here)

The Dean pipe is crazy loud. I ran a similar APH Race for a long time and settled for the stock muffler/tips for the best sound and reasonable volume. Keep checking e-Bay, prices vary wildly. I have a TON of EBR parts, but no extra muffler, sorry.

Hi Cooter,

Thanks for your message.

Nice SX! They must be a ton of fun too. The ergos are actually similar to my other bike, 2016 GSX-S 1000.

Your suggestions come on time, it looks like my bike could use a chain kit, sprockets look eaten away a bit.
    It seems like NCCR makes an affordable plug and play quick shifter for the EBR.
    What brand do you recommend?

____

About upgrades:
    Has any brand made longer front fender or an extension?

Some roads were wet on my last ride, I noticed the front fender is so short that dirt gets kicked up all the way to the bars, EVEN THE DASH (pics below). am I the only one here? I know, it's not like we're going out intentionally riding in the wet, but the small rocks are kicked up the same way. That stuff gets kicked up into the rads etc. The bike was spotless before the ride, I'm surprised to see dirt that high.

Name:	IMG_3611.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	588.7 KB 
ID:	2234

Name:	IMG_3612.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	844.7 KB 
ID:	2235

Name:	IMG_3615.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	724.5 KB 
ID:	2233

Also ordered radiator guards. Seems like the rads eat SH** on this bike.

___

For the exhaust, NCCR sells a nice slip on kit with APH pipe and SC Project can. It actually has a removable baffle and sounds nice without being a cop magnet and making parked cars scream back. I might just go with that. At almost $1k it's an expensive slip on but there aren't many choices out there.
    video of sound here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHz30AxSsQQ

https://ebutik.nccr.se/ebr-erik-buel...-sweep-up-sc-p

Attachment 2232

NCCR makes really good stuff and I'd recommend them for anything:) Possibly Chaz at Aagard Moto Foundry has some of their stuff in stock in the US. He's awesome too.

Odd about that mud? The RX is supposed to have a shield there between the forks.

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 2.23.46 PM.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	2236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 2.24.09 PM.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	2237
    #2 in the pic

I found out when I converted mine

Thanks for sharing,

I have the shield in there. In comparison to other sportbikes the front fender is ridiculously small.
    I made a fender extension that I 3D printed and sticked in there with 3M VHB. That will work for now. I'll work on a nicer design later. Or maybe make a complete CF fender. Idk I'm quite busy these days. haha

Name:	IMG_3633.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	451.9 KB 
ID:	2238

Oh! where did you get your windshield? Looks like much better aero.

Now about the sprockets. I got the rear from Aagard, but how do I get my hands on the front sprocket?
    Last edited by 9RX; 01-13-2023 at 12:09 AM.

I've ridden in rain, mud, snow, and never had mud on my dash? Weird that the guard is there and still...

I got Rad guards from R&G (I have a new-in-the-box frame slider kit from them I never used if you need it).
    My double bubble RX windshield is from PowerBronze. MRA makes one too (NCCR sells them).
    The front fender is the same piece that Buell used from 2003! On every XB, Firebolt, 1125R 1125CR, LOL. So you can get a CF fender in colors, or Matte from Motocomposits.com. Not sure if they offer a longer version?
    Rear sprockets are easy (Vortex), and the front one is a bespoke piece. I don't see a reason to change the size of the front one for the street anyway, but with the cush drive... IMO, I'd get an extra OE. Same goes for the swing arm guard, bad chain alignment or lugging the engine will wear through one and into your swingarm pretty fast.

This was a good idea through Supersprox, to deal with the odd EBR front cush sprocket.... that died...
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1510968543
    Last edited by Cooter; 01-13-2023 at 01:58 PM.

thanks for sharing about your riding experience. I’ll keep an eye out. I’ll admit I hit 3 digit speeds in some wet areas. So I thought it was just that. I’ll keep an eye.

I ordered the same radiator guards too. Thanks for confirming it’s a good choice.

That sprocket thread is funny, I actually had the same thought about front sprocket assembly last night, trying machining a new hub part that could receive a regular size sprocket if possible. Like an R1, GSX-R or one super common bike.

So where do you get the front oem ones? I can’t find it anywhere. Seems like I’d have to contact Buell directly.

You could try EBR in Wisconsin? LAP (the "New Buell") in Michigan has all the leftover parts and shill them on e-Bay, contact them direct and they'll have it. Not sure what happened but a year ago they skyrocketed all their pricing and so the Moto-recyclers followed suit.

Like WTF is this ****??
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/40367837030...3ABFBM4urf37Vh

A COMPLETELY hashed and totally unusable part for $230???

EDIT:
    I looked and NCCR has one $30 less than LAP. Chaz may have one in the US.
    https://ebutik.nccr.se/ebr-erik-buel...-tooth-w-needl
    Last edited by Cooter; 01-13-2023 at 09:04 PM.

Ha. Interesting, we’re now getting parts out of Sweden for American Made Motorcycles thanks for sharing though. I saw that ebay listing too.
    worse comes to worse I’ll find a way to make that part if nobody sells it. I thought “New Buell” was making them for the current bikes. I imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult to set a shop and sell part direct to customer.

I don't believe the "New Buell" is making anything. Since they (as LAP) bought all the parts stock, they have been assembling EBR's with those parts since, and selling them as brand new Buells.
    I'm sure they have a relationship with the Mfg's that do make the parts, but to what extent I do not know. Especially considering the very high likelyhood that debts weren't settled 100% after Hero pulled the plug on EBR.

Love your attitude. Seems like you are just the right person to appreciate and enjoy an EBR.

Can't be worried about the 'what if I can't get...!"'s, and they aren't ready for the museum yet!
    Except Barber