Thread: Rectifier

EBRforum Newb

Rectifier

I think my regulator/rectifier went. My stator tests between .1 and .3 OHMS for all combinations. My regulator/rectifier tested 106 K OHMS on 2 Combinations and then went to M OHMS in every other combination. Are these common and where do I get a new one? EBR wants $241 for one....that seems kinda steep!

I'm not sure what the service manual states for winding resistance but thats pretty far down the wormhole. FIRST, charge the battery fully. Not a 'tender' thingy, a charger.
    Then:
    1st test is battery resting voltage (12.5VDC)
    2nd test is cranking voltage >9.6VDC
    If it fails those, get a battery. A bad battery WILL screw with the VR output.
    Check the connections to the VR for continuity through the plugs
    3rd test is voltage output at 3000rpm (13.5-14.7VDC)
    Too high? Get a VR.
    Too low? then:
    Check that each of the 3 legs of the stator windings do NOT have continuity to ground.
    Check A/C voltage output at each leg. I don't know the EBR spec, but motorcycles are typically 60VAC at 3000rpm and that lines up with the OG Buell spec too.
    This is where you could check winding resistance, but if you have output, why bother?
    Fail any of those and get a stator.
    Pass all of them? then get a VR

A voltage regulator is a fairly universal piece (EBR didn't MFG them) as long as you get the capacity rating right and you're ok making a bracket or maybe swapping plugs. Or check with a place like Ricks stators thats familiar with Buells.