Thread: For the Guests

EBRforum Newb

For the Guests

I see a lot of "guests" viewing the forum when I come visit from time to time. I suppose these are folks that are doing research on EBR and considering buying one. There's a ton of information here, and there's a lot of opinions. As a relatively new member, relatively new rider, and a relatively new owner of a 2014 EBR 1190Sx I'd like to share an opinion of my own re: my hunt for an EBR and my experience owning one. If you don't want to read a lot just remember this: These bikes are awesome, and the community that supports them is awesome. (In my best Paul Harvey voice) ...and now...the REST of the story...

In 2003 I was with my Dad at the local Harley shop (Clinton Hwy in Knoxville, TN). We often went there to window shop. Dad has owned several HD motorcycles since I've been alive and still has several (even though due to age and back problems he tends to ride is CAN-AM more often.) He pointed out a bike to me that he thought I would like. The Buell XB9s. I was in love. I obsessed over it, and even took the MSF Course in 2004. But as a young fool, I had other things that took priority. Fast forward to 2017, long after HD closed Buell and EBR was in receivership. I found a gem. A 2003 Honda Ruckus with a lot of "upgrades" that a friend of mine had done himself. So I spent way too much money to fix it and get it to go 50mph (the holy grail of Honda Ruckus riders that don't do an engine swap). I had a lot of fun on that scooter, but I wanted to go faster than 40mph so I started looking for a motorcycle. Not just any motorcycle, a 2003 XB9s. I found one with just 2700 miles on it. Not aware of the potential gremlins an aged Buell may have I snapped it up for $2800, put new tires on it ("Stinkos" depending on who you ask. I've actually had great luck with them), and proceeded to re-teach myself how to ride. Started blowing key switch fuses and my brake lights / speedometer stopped working. I had a short in the front break switch. It's had other problems (needed new brakes, fried rectifier, broken belt, bad wheel bearings) but I have a good mechanic. I joined multiple FB groups for Buell and got interested in EBR after seeing multiple discussions about them. I was already in debt so despite finding some great prices on EBRs I was hesitant to make the move for one. I even found a brand new (2 miles on odometer) 2015 EBR 1190Sx (gray) listed for $4000 at a dealership in SC. I guess they had no idea what they had. I didn't either or I would have snapped it up. I got obsessed again, and I had great credit, so many months later I found 3 EBRs (RED, WHITE, and BLUE) at a dealership in Louisville, KY. I decided on the white one and got my ass even deeper in debt. Some new friends went with me to pick it up. 2.5 miles for $6750. Quite the steal. A gentleman from Ohio bought the other two shortly after I joined this forum and the EBR Owners Group on FB and gushed about finding such a good deal. That brings us to the here and now:

Owning such a rare bike with less than 2000 made has it's challenges. There are kinks to these bikes that couldn't be ironed out d/t the limited production: front cylinders blowing up (rare from what I can tell, but if you get one that does that it sucks - look for the Jacob Stark Evap upgrade or vent your fuel evap line to the atomosphere), chain slap that chews through swing arms (keep your chain tension correct - search through the forum for details because it's not a typical chain set up), lots of electrical stuff r/t the dash, and I'm sure I'm missing some of the other common issues. But here's my point, this community has come together and found solutions for pretty much any problem you can name for these bikes. They're awesome motorcycles, and if you're thinking of getting one I think you should go for it. There's tons of community support to keep them running, and if you do your part it will last you a very long time. Cheers!

EBRforum Novice
    Most of the guests are likely spiders/bots indexing the forum. A lot of them will be from overseas where they evaluate the content and traffic and decide if they want to duplicate the site with a bunch of ads to make a quick buck. There are vBulletin addins, and some server-side software, that can mitigate a lot of the unwanted traffic, if the Admin deem it necessary.

You would be surprised how few guests there are once you ban all the spiders/bots. My list of spiders/bots is 204 lines long, and I know it's still not complete. That's not counting the one's that were caught at the firewall and never made it to the forum (not this forum) to get put on my list.
    Last edited by LeesEBR; 05-18-2020 at 01:48 PM.

EBRforum Newb
    No Kidding? I had no idea. Well thanks for taking good care of the forum! I hope at least one legit guest catches some good vibes, though

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    No Kidding? I had no idea. Well thanks for taking good care of the forum! I hope at least one legit guest catches some good vibes, though
    Oh, I don't take care of this forum, lol. I own another one, primarily Blast-oriented, and moderate a few others.

Which one? I need good Blast info for Bubbles. We are doing the forks right now and I'd like to know if theres some easy upgrades we can do for aggressive riding besides fork oil weight. XB forks?

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Which one? I need good Blast info for Bubbles. We are doing the forks right now and I'd like to know if theres some easy upgrades we can do for aggressive riding besides fork oil weight. XB forks?
    It's http://BuellRidersOnline.com

Fork swaps are a little difficult since XB's use a shorter triple-tree stem than Blasts. You can change the fork oil, add a spacer to pre-load the springs, and/or add gold valve emulators.

Racetech also makes a spring kit.
    https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Buell/Blast/2003
    Last edited by LeesEBR; 05-20-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks so much for the info, sort of what I found so far, Ill check out the site!

EBRforum Novice
    I've also found that Works makes springs as well.

They do, but she's small enough, weight isn't the issue, just damping. Going from stock 10w to 15w until springs and emulators are in the budget:)
    Sorry for the hijack

Man, I wish there were more of us here (and in the world too, but I digress)

EBRforum Newb
    Right on. Still good to know about it though. Cheers, Lee!