Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used 2017 sx price

EBRforum ProvNov

Used 2017 sx price

I'm going list my 2017 gray SX I picked up this spring. She has 1,330 miles and is all oem, no upgrades, no damages. My wife hates riding on it so I'm picking up a crusier and I already picked up a new project bike I'm bobing. What should I ask for it?

EBRforum Newb
    Where is your bike located please? I'm in the shopping phase. Thx

Probably michigan...

But since you are in Cali, the rules are a little different.
    Plan on $300-$500 to ship a bike, but the transaction is much harder with more risk. There's advantages to buying out of Cali (no 10% tax) but the DMV won't let in a vehicle with less than 7500 miles (and applied that stupidity to bikes as well).

Theres a few around So Cal, I suggest looking local in your current location for ease of transfer.

EBRforum Novice
    Cost me ~$700 to ship mine to NorCal from MI. All 2017's are CA legal so the 7500mi rule need not apply; they have the CARB sticker under the pillion as well as the digit in the VIN.

Thats really good to know about the 2017's being CA emissions legal but I was in the understanding it was a sales tax issue?

Caution: Unless the vehicle was originally manufactured to meet California emission standards or the owner or vehicle qualifies for an exemption, California law prohibits California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle which is less than 2 years old and has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition. Refer to the Statement of Facts California Non-Certified Vehicle or New/Used Direct Import Vehicle (REG 256F) form for exemptions.

EBRforum Novice
    The way that reads, is if it's over two years old then it can be registered regardless of mileage (due to the word "and"). "less than 2 years old and has less than 7,500 miles" so if it is 3 years old then it doesn't meet the first part of the criteria to be prohibited.

However in my experience with 3 bikes now, that is not the case; it is mileage only.

My 2003 Blast and 2007 Firebolt, registered well after 2012, came from Nevada. Regardless of the fact they were over 2 years old, they were still required to have over 7500 miles. I actually had to argue with the DMV and CHP about the Firebolt's 10k miles until they looked it up and read it for themselves.

Still....all EBR's after mid 2015 are 50-state legal.
    Last edited by LeesEBR; 01-28-2020 at 10:03 AM.

I have brought in a few out of state bikes, DMV only looks at the motor Vin # and the frame Vin # and the miles , buell 06 , and buell 08, buell 07, so I put on miles before I took them in . They even ask me if I rode around the block a few times .

My 2014 EBR came Brand New from Texas. The Cal DMV checked the engine number and gave me plates. I've heard nightmare stories the other way too. Just proves they have NO idea what they are doing:(

EBRforum Newb
    I've brought in to California 6 bikes from out of state and have registered them all. The nuances regards age/mileage of the published regulations notwithstanding, my experience has been with each inspection (2 at DMV and 4 at AAA): if the Emissions sticker is there with the word California (and/or C.A.R.B.) on it along with Federal and the Federal Safety standards sticker with the bikes VIN on the sticker, no problem. These are deal breaker stickers and must be on the bike. If the bike is purchased from an out of state dealer vs private party, AAA cannot do the paperwork/inspection and one must endure a DMV office visit. "Nice to have" stickers that will result in some head scratching and insecurity of the inspector if not there, are the Noise Emissions and Evaporative Emissions hose routing stickers. If those are there as well, it's a slam dunk. With one bike, the previous owner removed all the stickers for cosmetic reasons, even though is was a 50 state bike. I bought the bike anyway as it was a very good deal and I was in love. I went to my local FastSigns shop and provided them with the shriveled and torn originals, and some photos obtained off the internet and from forum members. For $160, the in-house IT geek produced a set of custom stickers that matched the OEM exactly, even down to color and size. Where there's a will, there's a way.