Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exploding Airbox

If you felt a pop I would be checking under ur TB for tight clamps, it may have popped up and off the TB, If you are not a hands on guy take it to a shop as Cooter said.Dont take it out and push it , its not a SB chevy.

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    It should pull very hard and be outlandishly fast from 7k up. It shouldn't be popping from the intake either. I would suggest taking it to a shop. You could guess for years and never find the problem. Sorry for the bad news.
    Not in my basement!!!!

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    It should pull very hard and be outlandishly fast from 7k up. It shouldn't be popping from the intake either. I would suggest taking it to a shop. You could guess for years and never find the problem. Sorry for the bad news.
    Not in my basement!!!! You took it all!!

Can't wait to go through it all:)

EBRforum ProvNov

Exploding Airbox

Quote Originally Posted by Maratio View Post
    I had a strange thing happen the other day.

I was riding my 17 1190RX for about 70 miles. Stopped for lunch then headed across town to a gas station to put a bit more air into my front tire. After I filled up my tire I went to start up my bike and there was an explosion in the air box. It broke the two front mounts on the airbox cover and singed most of the hair on my foearm. I pulled the cover and airbox cover off right away to make sure that the bike was not on fire but there was just a bunch of smokecoming out.

After a few minutes and looking it over without seeing any damage I attempted to start the bike with the cover off. It started right up and sounded just fine.

Needing a ride home I decided to put the airbox and cover back on and rode home. I have not had any other issue, no weird sounds, or power delivery issues.

I guess my question is what happened? Why did it happen and how can I fix and prevent this issue from happening again?

Thank you guys for any help you provide!
    Also does anyone else own one of these bikes in Wyoming? I feel like I have the only one lol.

I had the exact same thing happen to me, only, in front of about 25 on-lookers. The airbox cover just about flew into the air. I am going to try the mod listed below, but now I am very gentle when starting my bike.