Thread: Dead Battery

EBRforum Newb

Dead Battery

I've read through the archives, and I think I have my answer. But I want to confirm with some of the Elder Statesmen: I let my Sx sit for a month without riding / cranking it because I've been lazy about registering / tagging it (low money situation, honestly). It's been hot here in East TN. Now it wont start. From what I've read, I can use a standard charger on it (under close supervision). Is this correct? I plan on getting the Shorai charger for it asap, but I'm about to lose my mind not riding (my Buell has been down for a couple of weeks with a fueling issue). Appreciate any input!

You'll be OK using a standard charger, but it can shorten the life of the battery.
    You have a parasitic drain somewhere, remove the battery (-) when you park it and you'll be in good shape.

EBRforum Newb
    Appreciate that, Cooter. Cheers.

EBRforum Newb
    Update...kind of. I got the Shorai charger and charged the battery. It showed full charge on the led display in under 2 hours. Bike still won’t start. Just a loud click that sounds like it’s coming from under the rear seat. I have all of my lights and the dash is bright. My research here and on the FB group leads me to believe this is the infamous starter corrosion issue. I’m bummed. But I’ll get it checked out ASAP if I can’t figure it out myself.

Could be...
    Take off the battery terminals and make sure the are super clean. Before you re-attach them, do the same with the 10mm nut on the starter. If theres any corrosion, it's a since to clean and re-attach the terminals tightly (don't KILL them).

EBRforum Newb
    Sounds good, man. Thanks for the heads up!

EBRforum Newb
    Just an update: Finally got my Sx problem sorted out after working 28 days straight with no time to ride..... just in time for the cold weather to start coming in. As I suspected, it was the starter corrosion issue. My mechanic said water poured out of the starter when he took it apart to clean it! So we cleaned / resealed it. It was magical when it started up. I've got about 1300 miles on it now so I'm starting to run it a little harder and be more confident. Running like a champ. Happy days are here again :-)