Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solution for "Hunting" during consistent RPM / Throttle position?

EBRforum Newb

Solution for "Hunting" during consistent RPM / Throttle position?

Hello All,

I'm back with another newb question. Is there a solution for the fueling issue a lot of people refer to as "hunting" (Constant throttle position / rpms and the bike feels like it's surging back and forth slightly, similar in my experience to being in low gear and even minor throttle adjustments make the bike jump a bit) ? From what I've read, these bikes tend to not like a constant throttle / rpm, but I prefer to ride steady / smooth instead of being on / off the throttle a lot. For context, I have a 2014 Sx with the Secondary Delete / Tips and matching ECM from Dean Adams. Bike runs strong with no real issues to speak of with the exception of dying while rolling to a stop with the clutch in (easy to work around that) and a really weird flat spot at 4000 rpms that happened once (felt like the throttle blipped, hasn't happened again.) I tried looking through the archives, and it seems like this is common behavior d/t the race nature of the bike. If it is was it is, then I can get used to it. Just wanted to see if there's a possible way to smooth it out. Thanks!

Lots of people? Sorry, I've never heard of that issue, and I have never had it happen on my '14 SX with any of the 3 different pipe/ECM combo's I have tried.

If it's running poorly and stalling I would talk to who sold you the ECM and see what they say.

EBRforum Newb
    I overgeneralized a bit. I've seen it more than once, though. From what I've read it's typical for these bikes, and running high rpms takes care of it (6k rpms was specifically mentioned). I wouldn't (and didn't) say it's running poorly, but my style of riding is probably way more conservative than many of the people who ride an EBR, so I find myself on a steady throttle position / rpm during most of my riding. I'll email Dean and see what he says, for sure. But based on my limited knowledge, I imagine the solution would be re-mapping the ECM or bucking up and riding more aggressively. Since the latter is a free option I'll likely try it first, LOL. Thanks for your input, Cooter. I appreciate you taking the time to read my post.

No worries man, glad two help. We're a small community here and we do pretty well at being self sufficient. I said running poorly, because you said it was stalling. It shouldn't do that.

It sounds like you are cruising at WAY too low an RPM. If it's lower than 4k, downshift! Heck, they don't even get going until 8K! Even though it's a V-twin, I wouldn't lug it around like a Harley. You can get bearing chatter, wrist pin deformation, the balance shafts can't do their job that slow, and super high cylinder pressures causing detonation even with high octane fuel.

EBRforum Newb
    I usually keep it around 4500rpm. I'm pretty sure part of my problem is my body position. I think I put too much of my weight on the handle bars causing me to give accidental input to the throttle, especially on rough pavement (which is pretty common in my part of town). Even the smallest twist at higher rpms / lower gearing = big response in this monster. As far as the stalling is concerned, I'm not entirely sure what the root cause could be. But each time it's been with the clutch in, coasting at low speed. I've taken to keeping it revved up a little when stopping, and it hasn't happened since. I've seen other posts mention the same thing. I just figured it was evidence that a high performance bike needs to be ridden harder. I always figured that was a myth. But I'm finding it to be true with every ride. My first bike is an 03 XB9s. I re-taught myself how to ride on it (got my license in 2004, didn't even ride or get a bike until March of 2018 at 36 years old, haha). So basically I'm a new rider still learning a lot of the basics on an advanced machine. My takeaway: ride harder, worry less. LOL Thanks again, Bud!

One quick note, check your clutch switch.

It's an easy on off switch right at the clutch lever pivot, you can unplug and check for continuity...

or even easier have it idling (in gear) clutch in and have someone press it in with a flat blade screwdriver, the engine should idle up a little when you do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    No worries man, glad two help. We're a small community here and we do pretty well at being self sufficient. I said running poorly, because you said it was stalling. It shouldn't do that.

It sounds like you are cruising at WAY too low an RPM. If it's lower than 4k, downshift! Heck, they don't even get going until 8K! Even though it's a V-twin, I wouldn't lug it around like a Harley. You can get bearing chatter, wrist pin deformation, the balance shafts can't do their job that slow, and super high cylinder pressures causing detonation even with high octane fuel.
    Haven heard of all that. Mine does surge, but at just under 4K. Apparently more rpms needed.

EBRforum Novice
    The surging your feeling is just the slack in the transmission when cruising. All bikes do it, some more pronounced than others.

Mine does go away a few hundred rpms higher. Like maybe 200-300 more.

EBRforum Newb
    My bike had a similiar issue with stalling. I opened the air box and found the front intake boot was loose, check there and make sure they are seated and secure. Also if you do the evap fix on the bike it also will help address stalling and poor idle. After fixing both issues mine is a smooth running rocket!