Thread: Dash Update / ECM Update

EBRforum Newb

Dash Update / ECM Update

Hello All,

I've looked high and low on the forum for the answer to my question with no luck. 2014 Sx with 43t sprocket- I plan on getting the tips / ecm combo from Dean Adams. Will I need to update my dash software prior to that? I don't see a point in updating the dash since it doesn't directly affect performance or prevent any catastrophic issues. I've not had any of the troubles associated with the older version of the software (that I can discern, anyway). But I don't want to risk some sort of malfunction. Any advice is appreciated. Bonus points if you can point me towards a fix with the second fourth gear d/t a 43t sprocket. If it is what it is, I don't mind. Thanks!

EBRforum Newb
    Hi EBRRider,

I appreciate the link, but it didn't quite answer my question. Since I'm not having any of the dash issues that have been prevalent I don't see the point of updating the dash firmware or ECM. My main question is: if I get a new exhaust, will I need to update the dash firmware? I understand that the ECM will have to be matched to the specific exhaust I get (which is why I'm going with Dean's tips / ecm package). I just want to make sure the older dash firmware doesn't screw up the exhaust / ECM. Forgive the newb question. I really did try to find the answer in the archived threads. Thanks again for your input.

Ok , Tim here with give the best answer .Great guy, Just my opinion I would up date dash anywho. . http://idspd.com/xcart/products-ebr
    Last edited by EBRRider; 06-23-2019 at 12:26 PM.

You aren't "updating the dash firmware" by sending it to EBR. It's is simply a new software download to address any early issues. Theres some tach, turn signal, and comm and drain updates, I'd do it.
    EBR will also update your stock ECM, which will enable quick shifting (with a sensor) among other things. The IDS ECM will do that too:) Get a QS, you'll love it!

You know the pipe and ECM must match for proper tuning. Tim (and Dean) explained that the EBR's have 'less ability to compensate for pipe mods' so the base fueling program needs to be very close. As far as I know the EBR's only have two firmware versions, (basically EBR's and IDS's) so a stock ECM can't be used for tips/pipe programs without a firmware upgrade, but an IDS ECM can be re-configured (by them) easily.

You are getting a double gear indication because of the rear sprocket change. When you order the ECM for the tips mod, tell them what sprocket you have and the ECM will be programmed accordingly. Your gear indicator will then work properly.

Very same issue on FB
    ,Ok guys, I need help once more. My 1190RX has been stuttering between 5,000 and 6,000 rpms.
    He took off his secondary, with stock tune, Lean air mix most likely.

EBRforum Newb
    Cool. Thanks a lot, guys. I appreciate it.