Thread: VIN number issues

EBRforum ProvNov

VIN number issues

Went to the DMV to register my new 17 sx I picked up a few weeks ago. I was refused registration, due to the VIN screw up on EBR's part. Had to call liquid asset and I requested a new title/vin sticker for the bike. Not sure what they are going to do as I sit here and wait. But at this point, I can't register my new motorcycle and drive it. This is crazy. Yeah, I'm pissed off .

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by bjpell View Post
    Went to the DMV to register my new 17 sx I picked up a few weeks ago. I was refused registration, due to the VIN screw up on EBR's part. Had to call liquid asset and I requested a new title/vin sticker for the bike. Not sure what they are going to do as I sit here and wait. But at this point, I can't register my new motorcycle and drive it. This is crazy. Yeah, I'm pissed off .
    New from a private sale but never registered or new from a dealer? Dealer should be willing and able to take care of this issue on your behalf.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Brand new from the dealership.

That's really odd. I've never bought a vehicle in Michigan but why didn't the dealer do all that for you? Isn't that why you pay the Lic/title/reg/paperwork fee?

From EBR you'd have a Certificate of Origin. From LAP you'd have a Title with LAP on it. Did you get one of those?

If the frame number and certificate/title number are different, why the sticker change and not just change the title? What about the engine number? That should match too.

I'm super curious about the deets on the potential can o' worms....
    Last edited by Cooter; 04-30-2019 at 11:52 AM.

EBRforum ProvNov
    I bought in Pennsylvania. All I got was the EBR origin paperwork. Nothing from LAP. The frame and the title match, but they do not match the corrected VIN number that my insurance company had to use in order to insure it. The corrected VIN number is what is registered with the DOT.
    My DMV said because they don't match up I can't register it.
    I went straight to the liquidation company. I never even told the dealership as I figured the dealership would have to talk to the liquidation company anyway. So I called them directly myself.

My '17 had the same issue - very minor as it looks like a number zero and the letter O were mistakenly confused at some point - The dealer gave me a letter from EBR stating the issue - my DMV was fine with it. Id check with your dealer - they should have been given this paperwork with the bike. Here is what I was given Pages from EBR RX paperwork.pdf
    Last edited by rb21; 05-08-2019 at 11:27 AM.

"do not match the corrected VIN number that my insurance company had to use"

WTH? They couldn't use the one thats on the bike, the engine, or the Certificate of Origin from the MFG? Sure sounds like the insurance co (or a totally different one) is who you need to call, since they are the ones who "corrected" it. Never heard of that.... Ever.

EBRforum Newb
    I am new and this is my first post as I will be picking up my new 2017 SX (hopefully) tomorrow. I am buying from a PA dealership as well, which I'm lucky enough to only live 30 minutes away in Delaware...just wondering....same dealership? Wide World West Chester??? and anything I should ask for in reference to the vin and paperwork before I go to the DMV in DE? When I updated my insurance online with progressive to cover my butt on the ride home, the vin did not come up so I had to put in the bike info. I was given a rate and printed insurance paperwork so I am assuming it is now insured.
    One quick question too as I am new and sometimes a little slow....if the last 4 digits on VIN represent what number bike I have (0013) why would that number be lower than someone who was a 2014....or is this not representative of which bike number I have??? Thanks